Chapter 1

Melbourne, Australia- Present Day

"He is the love of my life!"

The dramatic outcry shattered the peace of No. 11. Perched precariously at the top of one of the few inhabited hill slops in the otherwise flat Melbourne, the Little residence looked about to topple over from the sheer angst pounding against its four walls. But the storm brewing within was nothing unusual to the residents of Merryville Drive. Frantic footsteps could be heard pounding all over the wood floorboard of the double story brick veneer house. The Little's residence was not large, but it was not small either. It was certainly adequate for the three teenaged girls and their harassed parents who lived within.

Lucy Little stirred in her sleep. The sounds of the commotion below reaching up to her chasing away the last of the vestiges of sleep. The door to her room flew open. But then a frantic exhalation of hot air fanned hotly across her face. Lucy smelt jam. Strawberries to be sure.

"I love him! I love Jace!"

It took Lucy a moment for the words to sink in. But then it did. The pang she initially felt, but refused to acknowledge, was swiftly hidden with the sardonic upward twitch to the corner of her lips. Her usual front for all things related to her best friend Jace Neil.

"In love again, are you?" The sardonic words that left her lips belied the panicked urgency she felt, and her next words were uttered with forced amusement, "And with poor Jace, too." Lucy clucked her tongue in mock sympathy for the poor unsuspecting Jace, but she knew in her heart that Emily Little was a catch for any man.

"Lucy!"

Lucy Little stared up with false amusement into the earnest blue eyes peering down at her. Long darkened lashes blinked pitifully at her eliciting an unbidden desire to laugh and her answering pout of mock sympathy wavered. But it was too early yet for outright laughter. Lucy Little was not a morning person by nature.

A puff of blond hair fell across her face teasing a sneeze out of her. "Achoo!"

Lucy waved Emily's hair off her face irritably. "Get lost, Emily." Then she added with a heart-felt groan. "Go bug, Cat."

"She already has," came the calm retort from the Cat in question. Lucy turn her head to clear her vision away from Emily's blond tumble to stare at Emily's identical twin lounging nonchalantly against the door, book in hand

. Catherine Little was no novice when it came to bearing Emily's passionate little outbursts. Exposed as she had been to her sister's needy nature for constant attention since birth, she took in this newest outburst with all the outward calm that was almost eerie. But then nothing ever phased Cat. Nothing could. Cat being the brains graduated ahead of her age group by two years was unnaturally unshakeable in all things Emily. Despite being only sixteen to all of Lucy's nineteen years of age, Cat still knew more about everything then Lucy did.

But it was not Cat who held her attention now, it was her twin, Emily. Day light gleamed through gossamer curtains, to shine down on them lending a dangerous sparkle to those blue orbs. It was a sparkle she was more than familiar with. Tears. The start of laughter faded just quickly as it begun. Lucy's over-protective nature rose to answer.

"You deserve better than a player, Em. You do know Jace is a player, right? He has a long line of broken hearts behind him. There isn't a skirt he wouldn't chase and his sweet words and sweeter smiles only last so long." Jace was her best friend but there was no denying that truth.