The Funeral

Time: 6 AM

Date: May 26

Location: Scotty's Room

Four days after his performance with Lauren, Scotty was in his room. He was on his phone, looking at a picture of his family that also had Kevin, Shauna, and their kids. Today was Kevin's funeral, and Scotty knew he'd be crying a lot throughout the day. Not only for himself, but for Jared and Jackie. His eyes started to water, and he let out a couple of sobs.

"Scotty?" asked a female voice outside his bedroom door.

"Come in," he said. Then Ashley came in the room and sat down on her brother's bed, looking equally as upset.

"Are you okay?" she asked sadly.

"No I'm really not, Ashley." Scotty looked ready to cry again.

"Aw, Scotty." Ashley rubbed her brother's shoulder. "What are you looking at on your phone?"

"A picture of all of us with Kevin and his family." He gave his sister his phone so she could see the photo also. When she was done looking at it, she gave him back the phone, crying too.

"That's a very sweet photo, bro. I wish we didn't have to have Kevin's funeral today," she sobbed.

"Me too, Ash. To be honest, I don't even know if I can handle it." Then he put his head in his hands, and sobbed once more.

"Scotty. Come on bro, do not do this to me, darn it," Ashley cried. Then she put her arms around her brother, and the two of them cried together. However, it caused Judy to come into Scotty's room also.

"Are you okay, guys?" she asked her kids.

"Yeah, we're okay," Scotty replied. "We're just upset about Uncle Kevin's funeral today."

"Aw. I know, honey." Judy came in the room and hugged both of her children. "But we have to go pick up Gabi and meet Shauna and the kids at the funeral home. Dad's already downstairs."

"Alright. We're coming," said Ashley. Scotty nodded in agreement.

"Okay kids." Judy went downstairs, and the kids followed close behind.

Funeral Home - During The Funeral

It was near the ending of the funeral, and a few people wanted to share some stories. Scotty had just gotten done with his story, and he got quite a bit of applause from everyone, including Gabi.

"Beautiful story, Scotty. I loved it," she whispered to him through tears after he'd sat back down next to her.

"Thanks Gabi," he whispered back through his own tears.

"You're welcome." Then she gave him a kiss on the cheek, followed by a hug. Soon after, he did the same.

Later That Day

After the funeral, Scotty and Gabi were talking in his room.

"What did you think of the funeral today, Gabba?" he asked.

"I thought the whole thing was very beautiful," she replied with a small smile. "Especially that story you told. That was so amazing."

"Thanks Gabi. That one meant a lot to me, so I felt like I had to share it."

"Well, I'm glad you did."

"Well, thank you again." Then he stopped and stared at the ceiling.

"Scotty? What's wrong?"

"I... I... I don't know, Gabi, okay?" he told her.

"Why don't you know? What exactly are you talking about?" she asked, putting her hand on his shoulder.

"I mean like... Uncle Kevin's gone, Jared and Jackie are devastated, and I have my own commitments with Brad Paisley to worry about." Soon, Scotty would be joining Brad back on the road.

"Well Scotty, there's no need to be upset," said Gabi, rubbing her friend's shoulder.

"Why is that?"

"Um... Because you have a great family that loves you, you have your faith and God, and you also have an amazing group of friends that will support you, no matter what."

Looking at Gabi with a small smile, Scotty asked, "And are you one of those friends?"

"Why of course I am," she replied with a small smile.

"Know what, Gab? You're right. I don't know what I was thinking saying those things." He shook his head at her.

"I know, but it's okay. I still love you." She smiled more and rubbed both of Scotty's shoulders.

"Thank you Gabi," he replied with a bigger smile. "And I love you too."

Then they gave each other a 30 second kiss on the lips with their eyes shut, a hug, and another kiss.

"Dagum, that was amazing," Scotty smiled. "So do you want to go to sleep?"

"Sure. Goodnight, Scotty," she replied, laying down.

"Goodnight, Gabi." He lay down also and fell asleep along with her.