Chapter 1

Where was he? I thought to myself as I clutched on to my bag of clothes and my coat draped across my shoulders. It was cold for a night in September and it didn't help that I was standing so close to the sea. Every time a wave crashed against the harbor, a spray of warm salty air would course through my nostrils causing a seething burning sensation. I cursed my fiancée's name standing there all by myself this late at night. Didn't he realize a woman was not to stand outside for too long in such a foreign part of the city without a man by her side? 

Ignorant fool. He'll pay for it when I'm killed and suddenly, he has to court another woman. 

A loud snap like a twig being broken off into two caught my attention. My heart pounded harder against my chest than before as I slowly turned around to face the many ships used for transportation of goods, eyes scanning for what could be hidden in the lurking shadows. A figure moved aboard on one of the rusty old ships. 

Charlie? 

Taking eager steps to get away from the cold, I climbed onto the ship without a second thought. It had to be him. Who else could it have been? I smiled triumphantly as I reached the top in my tiny heels and my overfilling dress. 

"Charlie!" I cried in relief but stepped back in fear when I saw the figure step out into the light. The glow from the burning candle in his lantern was enough to tell me he was a man I would not like to bump into at this time of day. "Sorry." 

I apologized quickly, face red, turning around to walk down the same path towards the dock but another man—appearing out of thin air— blocked my way. He was a large man with hair covering every available surface of his dark oily skin. He looked like he never took a bath in weeks judging from the caustic smell of his body and what was left of teeth; he looked like he never brushed either. 

"I'll be on my way now if you would—" I dipped my head to avoid his menacing gaze. 

"Sorry, love." He spread out his large meaty arm, preventing me from going anywhere far from him and his accomplice who was a small thin fellow with hollow cheeks. "Can't let you do that." 

"And why not?" I demanded, my voice shaking and to much of his amusement. His cackle ran through my ears causing me to feel more vulnerable than before.

"Women don't board our ship and board off." His friend behind me finally spoke. His voice was high and squeaky, perfect for impersonating devious villains in children's story books. "Unless, we're though with them." He added. A chill ran along my spine as he added it with a smile.

"I'll scream." My body was betraying me as I trembled like a leaf on a tree. These men clearly knew what they were going to do with me and for me knowing it, it was even more sickening. "I'll scream for bloody murder." 

"No one will hear you." The fat man chimed. "It's too late for that." He took a large step forward while I took a large step back. My back hit against a pole with a tattered flag attached. I gulped when I realized it wasn't a British ship but a foreign one. These men were pirates. 

"No, please." I tried pushing them back. "Please!" I was begging now, my voice shrilling in the night. 

"Men." A clear crisp voice cut through the night air. "Stand down." 

The two baboons turned around to see who was interrupting their fun. When both of them caught sight of who he was, they both looked shamefully at the floor and stepped away for me to breath. My eyes scanned the ship for the man who has saved me, only meeting a tall lanky figure standing behind one of the many crates on board.

"We found dis lady." The thin one dumbly said. "On the boat. Thought we could have some fun before we set sail."

"That won't be necessary." My saviour stepped out into the dim lighting causing my heart to pound even harder against my chest when I caught sight of his handsome face. His eyes narrowed down at me, studying every move I made and every curve of my body. I blushed furiously when his eyes lingered longer than appropriate on my breasts and hips. "She is my guest."