Championship Game

Trinity's POV- August 19th

5 minutes left in the game, I think to myself as I wipe a river of sweat away. I sit down on the cold bench and let my hair out of its ponytail to only put it back up. I see Maddie across the field with her teammates. I smile and wave at her, and she waves back.

" Messi! You'll be playing offense for the last five minutes," Coach Wilson tells me and I nod, looking out in the crowd for my parents. I finally find them and I meet my father's gaze. We both smile at each other and soon, I'm back on the field. I stand in the middle on one side of the ball, and Fiona Jameson stands on the other side.

" You're going down, Messi," she growls and I stay silent, not wanting to start a fight. The ref's whistle blares in my ears and I kick the ball to the right, then to the left. I keep doing this, confusing Fiona. Then I bolt forward, taking all of the other team by surprise. I weave between players and take a final kick. It feels as if time slowed down as I watched the ball fly past the goalie's outstretched hands and into the white net. Cheers erupt as the timer buzzes, signaling that the game is over.

" Messi! Messi!" My teammates and coach keep chanting and a smile grows on my face. I glance over my shoulder at Maddie, who gives me a thumbs up and an encouraging smile. I smile back and she walks into the locker room.

I just made the winning kick! Dad will be so happy! I think happily to myself with a smile and run into the locker. I change out of my blue and white uniform and quickly shower before slipping on a green t-shirt and jean shorts. I tie my soaking hair into a quick braid and slip on my light jean jacket. I slip my phone into my bag and sling it over my shoulder, saying goodbye to my team and my coach. I exit the lockeroom and walk over to the gazebo in the park next to the arena, where Maddie is already waiting. I clear my throat, causing Maddie to jump and I smile, setting my bag down on the ground inbetween my legs as I sit down.

" Not cool, Trin," Maddie scolds, but she has a smile on her face. I smile back and we laugh a little. Soon, the smile fades and Maddie looks down at her feet, twiddling her thumbs.

" Maddie? What's wrong?" I ask, worried. Maddie's always so happy. I hear her sigh and she looks me dead in the eye. I see tears streaming down her face and I quickly wipe them away with my thumb.

" I-I'm m-moving t-to America," she chokes out and my hand stops wiping her tears away as I wrap my arms around here, tears falling from my eyes. She wraps her arms around me and for a minute we sit there, sobbing on each other's shoulder. I sniffle and pull away, wiping my eyes on my sleeve.

" Maddie!" a woman's voice calls out, making the silence of the night break. I recognize it as Mrs.Beckham, Maddie's mom.

" Bye," we whisper to each other in unison and she disappears into the night, leaving me behind to sob.