Safety

Electrical Safety

      When you are working on a computer you have to make sure you are perfectly grounded with the computer. If you dont have an anti-static wrist strap or an anti-static work mat, you can ru6 your hands on the chassis to equalize yourself with the components. If you dont equalize yourself, then you could cause ESD (Electrostatic Discharge). This can be caused by the shuffling of one's feet across carpet. It is 3 types of ESD: Catastrophic, Latent, and Upset. Catastrophic is when you cause permanent damage but it is noticeable right away. Latent is when it's not noticeable right away and may allow a computer component to "limp" along for some time. And, upset is when you could cause complete software and data loss.

      You can protect yourself from ESD is by using an anti-static work mat or an anti-static wrist strap. If you don't have either one of these ESD prevention materials, then you can rub your hand on the metal sides inside of the system unit called the "chassis".

      You also have 2 types of electrical hazards that can be caused when dealing with a computer. These 2 hazards are EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). EMI can be caused by the use of a vacuum cleaner and a tv while on the computer. RFI can be caused by a cell phone or a microwave. To prevent these kind of causes, you could use a surge protector.

      There are 20,000 to 50,000 volts of electricity in a power supply and a monitor. In a monitor, there's a tube called the Cathod Ray Tube (CRT), which is also a high voltage power source. So, if you're not a trained PC Technician, don't open the power supply or the monitor because the anti-static wrist strap and the anti-static work mat won't help. a/lso, when your computer have complete power failure, you can use an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). These devices contains battery back-up power when you have power failure.

                                                                                  Human Safety

      Human Safety consists of a lot of hazards that can cause a human to be seriously injured. It consists of Chemical Hazards, Physical Hazards, Fire Hazards, Proper Disposal Procedures, and Cleaning Products.

      Chemical Hazards are basically the hazards that includes chemicals. To prevent these hazards, you can view the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), which will provide you with the proper procedures for handling or working with a particular substance.

      Physical Hazards are the hazards that includes body injuries while working on a computer. Using improper procedures consists of back injuries, cuts, tripping, and burns. If any of these hazards happen, you should notify your employer immediately.

      Fire Hazards consists of the different kind of fire extinguishers to use if a fire happens. The extinguishers consists of: Type A, which are for ordinary combustible materials, Type B, which is for flammable liquids, and Type C, which are for electrical fires. Proper Disposal Procedures are basically how to recycle certain objects such as computers, batteries, CRT monitors, circuit/motherboards, and ink/toner cartridges.

      Last, but not least are your cleaning products, which are the products that are most household and computer cleaning chemicals. These chemicals are made up of alcohol and water, neither of which is particularly dangerous or environmentally harmful.