Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Nicholas heard voices just outside his office and stood up. 

"Thanks" a voice called outside. 

"Sure, no problem" another voice which he recognized as Toby's, an office assistant answered. 

Nick walked into the reception just as Toby was getting on the elevator; he turned to face the back of a woman bending over his assistants' desk.  

His groin tightened as the woman moved, the small movement jiggling her pert behind. There was something oddly familiar about that body, Nick thought. He cleared his throat loud enough to startle her. She stood and turned. 

"Good afternoon Sir, I'm from Emerald Outsourcing, I was sent over to relieve your assistant for the duration of her maternity leave"

"Yeah Okay. I.T will get you set up, they're on the fourth floor.  What's your name?" he asked blandly, traces of his wayward thoughts hidden.

"Jade... It's Jade. It's on my resumption form, it was sent over earlier" she answered.

He stared. The phone on her desk rang, momentarily saving him from replying because he had nothing to say. To say he was surprised was an understatement, more like speechless. Gone was the cute teenager in the stupid bunny slippers, in her place stood an equally stunning woman.  He took in the form-fitting green suit that matched her eyes and hugged her curves like a glove, his attention riveting on her ample bosom. Her hair was drawn into a severe bun, making his hands itch to take out the pins from her hair and bury his face in it. Coupled with mile-long legs, she looked like a walking time bomb for any red-blooded male. 

For a reason that eluded him, Nick's anatomy had responded to her with breathtaking speed. He cleared his throat again, this time not to catch her attention, but because he really needed to redirect his thoughts and focus. 

She had been talking on the phone to an insistent person; Nick realized he hadn't even listened at all. She closed the mouthpiece and faced him. 

"Sir, I've got someone named Jessica on the line for you, she says she wants to speak to you?"  

"Um...Yeah ok, Transfer the call to line three, that's my office" he informed her, turning back into his office to take the call. 

He wondered what Jessica wanted. She was a good, willing lover and a sophisticated woman he had met at some charity function that he couldn't escape. Nick considered asking her to be his date to the party tonight but decided against it immediately. Jessica would surely get the wrong idea into her head. 

"Hello?" his voice was laced with the irritation he felt. 

"Hello darling; it's me" she answered, her voice high-pitched. 

"Jessica?" 

"Of course! Don't you recognize my voice?" he could just picture her perfect pout. 

"Anyways," she said moving on. "I heard about the party your dad is throwing. You should have told me earlier, so I could have bought a new dress!" she admonished, trying to sound sexy. 

"I guess you forgot. But whatever, I'll still look sexy for you!"

Nick groaned. He didn't even bother to ask how she knew about the party. 

"Jessica, I'm really sorry, but I'm not attending the party, so there's no need for you to stress yourself" he replied. 

"It's no bother Nick sweetie. So, what time are you picking me up?" 

Had she suddenly gone deaf? Didn't she hear him say he wasn't going? 

"Jessica, look I have to go now, but can we talk later?" he asked.