Chapter 8: Gage

GAGE

“Man oh man, tonight cannot come any faster,” Tanner cheesed as we pulled into the driveway of my house. “I’m gonna get sloppy tonight!”

“You getting sloppy are like four shots and three beers,” I teased him. “You are the ultimate lightweight at drinking.” I parked my blue jeep in front of the garage door. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the Lamborghini, but there wasn’t enough room in it to fit the three of us and the supplies we just bought at Party Central. So my jeep was suitable; and besides I paid for it all by myself with the birthday and Christmas money I received and saved up for five years. So why wouldn’t I drive it.

“Whatever,” Tanner replied as he and Cameron hopped out of the car carrying bags of supplies consisting of red solo cups, and a shit load of paper towels, paper utensils and cleaning supplies. “Don’t believe me then, but I plan on blacking out tonight to forget how shitty of a morning I had.”

“You and me both buddy,” Cameron nudged Tanner.

“What’s going on with you?” I asked. Usually if Cam had a problem I was the first to know, no matter how bad it was. Like the time he thought he caught an STI from Melinda; which turned out to be nothing more than just jock itch. But still, he told me everything, no matter how bad it was.

“Uh…it’s nothing, just issues with my dad. We’re not seeing eye to eye right now,” he said as I opened the trunk and retrieved the fog machine and foam machine that I bought for the party. “But I’m not thinking about that tonight…the party is the only thing on my mind tonight.”

“Okay, if you need anything you know we’re here for you,” I reassured him.

“I’m cool,” Cam replied barely making any eye contact with us.

I closed the trunk and we started for the front door when Marge, the maid came out the door. Marge was Puerto Rican and has lived with my family for more than ten years. She was basically another parental figure when mine were away, which was always.

“Gage, the tent is set up, and the pool has been cleaned. The trampoline is being built right now and should be done in an hour,” Marge said in her thick Puerto Rican accent.

“Okay, thanks, did they already drop off the dr-…uh I mean piñata?” I stumbled. The piñata was filled with an assortment of drugs to everybody’s liking, but Marge didn’t need to know that.

“Yes, and the music man is here to set up, but I didn’t know where to tell him to set up at.”

“Okay,” I replied. By music man she meant the DJ; our friend Ismail. We always had the hook-up to anything and everything. “Tanner can you go tell Ismail to set up on the south balcony, the one that’s on top of the pool house.”

“Alright,” he responded. He walked inside the house and off to the back yard.

“Hey Marge, you coming to the party tonight?” Cam smirked. He always played with Marge; I guess he looked to her like a parental figure too or something.

“No, I think the party is for children only, and besides I’ll have to watch over the house tonight. Make sure no kids get inside,” she replied.

“You’ll be off the clock by then, unwind, have some fun and drink a couple of beers with us,” he cheesed.

“Okay, okay ,leave Marge alone,” I laughed at Cam. “Let’s go set these machines up out back in the tent?”

Marge smiled and turned around and went back to cleaning. Cam and I started for the back of the house.

“Booger, is that you?” a familiar voice laughed.

There was no way it could be who I think it was. She was suppose to be away at college right now. Cam and I turned around, and there she was, Lauren Collins was standing in the front doorway. Lauren was my neighbor, and I still sort of had a thing for her.