9 Months Later -24

Life wasn’t the same without Damon in it. Lena constantly asked about where he had gone and why he hadn’t come to our new home with us. It was hard to explain to a two year old about why he wasn’t able to come with us, I tried my best but she still didn’t understand it.

When we had first landed in New Zealand I was a wreck, I didn’t think life could go on without Damon. I didn’t know how long he was going to be gone for or if he would even come back. Dante stayed with us for about a month but soon he to left to go home, he visited again now and then but he never brought any news of Damon’s where about, I knew he knew where he was. He just refused to tell me. Lena and I lived in one of their homes with a few bodyguards incase Vince came for us, but as each day passed by I kept waiting and waiting for them to leave too. It wouldn’t be long before they were needed elsewhere and then it would be just Lena and I again.

I had asked Dante one time during his visits if I could return home.

“Absolutely not.” He had replied.

“Why not?” I questioned, by now it had to be safe if Dante and Damon weren’t here with me.

“Because you can’t return to New York yet, it’s still not safe.”

“What if I just decided to go and book a flight home then what could you do?” I questioned getting madder by the second, I hadn’t been allowed to call James or Leo for fear that my call would be tracked.

“Collette you know that wouldn’t work. Just enjoy being safe and having Lena safe.”

“She misses you both.” I said quietly.

“I know she does but it has to be like this for now. Until Damon takes care of Vince it has to remain this way.”

We had left the conversation at that, I knew asking more about Damon would just cause Dante to close up. I knew he missed his brother as much as I did but it felt like my life couldn’t go on without him in it.

It had been three months since we had left Tuscany and life was uneventful. Lena and I lived in a remote house off the grid, it ran completely off of solar power and the water was attained through the deep well connected to the house. The home had a few luxuries such as hot water, a bathroom inside the house, and fireplaces in just about every room. It was a beautiful home, it had 5 bedrooms, three bathrooms, a family room, a study, a kitchen, and a dining room. The bodyguards had their own home on the property sort of like an in-law suite. I had converted one of the spare rooms into a play room for Lena. She loved the baby doll that “daddy” had gotten her. She carried it everywhere with her, a sort of replacement for her blue blanket we had lost in this huge mess I had created. Lena was currently take a nap and I was making some tea.

“This place would have been an amazing place to vacation in.” I thought out loud to myself.  

Once the tea was ready I poured a cup and headed up to my room. It wasn’t overly huge but it was a decent size. The bed was the most comfortable I’d ever slept in, but it always felt too big. I set my mug on the nightstand before I climbed into bed. I reached over and pulled out the yellow notepad Dante had given me months ago. Collette was scribbled on it in Damon’s’ handwriting. I still hadn’t found the courage to read it, I would just take it out every so often and look at his handwriting. It was the only thing I still had left of his. I put it back in the drawer and closed my eyes.