Prologue

August 6, 2054

PURE HEADQUARTERS

"Insemination completed," the monotone voice echoed through the overhead speakers. "I will now proceed with the incubation period."

Thirty satisfied men and women dressed in white lab coats applauded behind a glass window. Sixty eyes watched through the translucent barrier while the man inside the lab spoke into his headset.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he paused, holding a glass tube in front of him, "we have just done what no man has done before! Congratulations." His mouth spread into a large, toothy grin. The audience mumbled from the other room, talking excitedly among one another.

The lab worker radiated with importance; being the CEO of PURE, he took part in many of his company's experiments, especially in laboratory one. What he had discovered could change the nation...the world.

He placed the test tube into the incubator and closed the lid. The red flickering light turned a solid green and the digital numbers on the outside casing counted down: 280 days.

Everything will change, the man thought.

Everything...

Sylas was in fact many, many things, except one. A failure. He deemed himself a man of his word, and by all means necessary, he believed he had the capability to spark a human evolution.

Was it right of him to take matters into his own hands? 

Yes, he thought impishly. 

If no one wanted to fix the disgusting excuse of a world – the disgusting excuse of genetically incapable Homo sapiens, then, yes he would take matters into his capable hands. And if anyone should get in his way, he'd confine, beat, or even go the lengths of murder to make a pure human race.

Yes, he thought, I will succeed.

PURE was his home, some even called it his palace. The rightful king, ruler of the Mojave Desert inside his massive facility. Calling himself a king made him chuckle, knowing he had the debilitated nation in his grasp, and he wasn't yet willing to let go. Oh, no, he wasn't stepping down from his throne. They, the other people who aren't worthy of his presence would have to pry the nation from his unbreakable hands. 

Twisting his chair right to left in a constant motion, he had begun to meticulously think of his next move, to checkmate anyone who dared stand in his way. He knew the possibility of a war within the nation, he wasn't that naïve. He was however, already one step ahead of the game.

Impeccable timing, he thought with a sheepish grin.  A slim figure of a man outside the glass laboratory door paced back and forth before entering.

Ah yes, his best confidant stepped inside. Oh indeed, his puppet on strings, his little brother if he had siblings – a bloodline, yet he found comfort in knowing he was the last of his lineage. Thank the tumor inside his deceased mother's uterus that he never had to tolerate such rivalry.

Sylas contorted his face, forcing his eyes into tiny slits as he was left in deep thought. Julian walked up to him and nodded once in greeting. 

"I've heard of your great success today," said Julian, pulling Sylas from his thoughts. "I suppose this occasion is ideal for bourbon on the rocks?" He tapped his fingertip on the incubator in front of him. "This is...incredible, " he added.

Sylas stood fast. "Didn't your mother teach you not to touch someone's private property?" He walked toward the incubator and peered at the glass tubing. Tears welled in his eyes. "My wife always wanted a child. After the one - well, never mind that. What's important is that now I can give her one that is pure and stripped of any filth that lives and festers inside the human race today."

Julian placed his hand on Sylas's shoulder. "You give us all hope of a better future, Presider."

Sylas's Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he struggled to swallow down his emotions. He wiped the back of his hand across his cheek. He didn't dare show any weakness. "I need a militia. Strong enough to protect my creations. If anything were to happen to them..."

"In time, Presider," Julian said. "First, you need to focus on your work here. All the other stuff will fall into place. Don't you worry. I will take care of it all." He pushed out his hand, waiting for Sylas to lend a handshake, to strike and mold a deal for an intended long-term partnership.

Sylas hesitated. "I have a vision, you know. In this vision no one, not even you my dearest friend, will undermine me."

Julian grabbed hold of Sylas's hand, giving him a firm shake.

"Never in a day would I defy you. I look forward to all that PURE has to offer," said Julian. He released Sylas's hand, gave him a last nod, and made his way toward the sliding glass doors. "Let's grab that bourbon some other time."

 Sylas listened to Julian's fading chuckle as he left. He himself chuckled back, although Julian had already gone. "PURE has much to offer, friend. I plan to borrow from the people. Does this make me a bad man?" 

Absolutely not, he thought, a smile tugged at his lips. "It simply makes me unstoppable."

Note: Thank you for taking the time to give Borrowed a read! Continue on to chapter one to meet Irissa. Don't forget to vote! :)