Stowaway Chapter 6

My dreams were stirred by voices and the rocking woke me. We were in a storm. The noise of the waves growling at the ship and smashing into it. It was terrifying. I covered my ears and closed my eyes but the sway of the ship reminded of the danger and I felt sea sick. I felt a hand remove mine from an ear.

"It's ok its just a storm, we have been in worse," Captain Tom informed me. He had blue eyes, storm blue like mine.

"Shouldn't you be on deck?" I asked.

He chuckled. "No, I don't like getting wet and what kind of a captain would I be if I didn't have faith in my crew. Do you think they want to drown?" he asked.

"No I suppose not."

"So there you go. Stop fretting and relax a little. Can I get you anything?" he asked and smiled.

"You're a very kind for a pirate," I said.

"You tell anyone and I'll have to cut your throat," he teased. Then his face froze "Oh I am so sorry I didn't mean that..."

"Don't worry I know what you meant and I know I am safe with you. I don't know why but I trust you. Trust is something I thought I'd lost along with my virtue but you have proved that is not so," I was being honest as I wanted him to stay with me during the storm and wanted to keep him talking.

A wave crashed against the ship and my hands flew up to my ears as I closed my eyes, tight. I felt his hand remove mine from my ears. He held my trembling hand in his and steadied them.

"It's ok. You're safe. I guess you are not use to the sea. This must be all be very new to you," he said.

I nodded. "I've never been on boat," I informed him.

"What never?" he asked.

"No and my father does not allow us near the harbour," I informed him.

"Wise man," he said thoughtfully. "So this is your maiden voyage?" he asked.

I nodded.

"I'm honoured to share it with you," he said and smiled. Waves crashed against the side of the ship again but his hands held mine steady and though my lips trembled and tears fell with fear of the unknown, he spoke calming me. "The closer we get to shore the more the turbulent the sea gets as it hits against rocks and that sends waves back. The sea bed get closer to the bow of the ship and the wind picks up from shore. So its all perfectly normal."

I took in everything he was saying and sighed heavily at the thought of the shore approaching.

"You don't seem convinced. Do you want me to stay with you till the storm subsides?" he asked and I nodded.

I was scared of the storm not him and this amazed me given what I had been through recently. He had a way about him, that just set me at ease.

"Let me fetch a drink and I'll be back. Would you like some wine?" he asked.

"Erm yes please," I answered tentatively. A drink might calm my nerves.

He left to go get the drinks and I automatically moved over the bed so he could sit with me. Momentarily feeling like a sinner for allowing a man I am not married to, to sit on a bed with me but I reminded myself that I was no longer innocent thanks to Andrew so it made no difference. Plus it was 'his' bed. He was sharing it with me. A stowaway. By all rights I should be thrown over board, murdered or raped again. Instead I was being rescued by the very people Andrew had thought would finish off what he was too cowardly to do himself.

"You ok?" Tom asked.

"Yeah. Please take a seat it is your bed after all," I said and patted to indicate his side.