Chapter 7

The next few days went bye with out incident, I introduced Quinn to the gang and they all became fast friends, I was giving Addison personal self defense, and she is as competitive as hell.

We would train for hours in the early morning, by the time we were done we were both exhausted. My student group was branching out and making friend, which was great.

I was secretly training Becca to be one of my black mail spies, when she said she needed some cash. Jake kept away.

We were lounging around outside after school on a Friday when,

suddenly my phone rang, I picked it up looking at the caller id. Alice.

"hello?"

"hey, Skye I was just in the headmistresses office, when she told me she wanted to see the all the second years in the gym, for the assembly."

oh. no. "you mean like THE assembly?" my voice going an octave higher. My friends stopped what they were doing and looked at me. Their eyes wide.

"yeah Skye, the assembly where you find out who your soul mate is. That assembly."

I hung up. Inhaled a breath and looked at my friends.

"guy's it's time, for stage 1 of the morph.". I called my brothers telling them the information, and to pass it along. In an hour the whole school would know.

I shakily stood up. My friends following. We were all very, very nervous, scared, excited and any other word used among those lines.

We moved as a pack, towards the gym. I looked at their faces, I wonder if I would ever see them the same way again.

As we neared the building I drifted to the back of the pack. Suddenly without warning I felt myself being jerked back into the forest a hand clamped over my mouth. I was to close to my attacker to hit him.

"SKYE, listen we need to talk NOW, if I let you go will u attack me?" Jake, omg, Jake.

"WTF JAKE, this is not the time to be playing around. If you hadn't noticed, we have a VERY important assembly to go to!"

"I know that. But before all this morphing crap I have to tell you something,um, i'm sorry."

"what, sorry for all the pain you cau-" my sentence was cut off by his lips crashing on mine. It was totally unexpected, my mind was telling me to kick him or punch him or something, but the kiss, it was amazing, it sent sparks up my spine.

my body responded, and kissed him back. It was experimental, and different, unexpected, and lovely.

Finally my mind once again gained control over my body, I pushed him away. I looked at him, he looked surprised. I carefully hid my feeling behind a wall of confusion. I had just kissed Jake, arrogant, annoying, self-centered, cocky, Jake. And I liked it. Shit.

I turned around and ran to catch up with my friends, they were almost at the doors of the gym, I looked over my shoulder, Jake was nowhere to be found. Figures. Mess with me then leave. I joined the gang, Jamie shooting me a questioning look, I just responded with a quick shake of my head.

Jake had kissed me, minutes before my soul partner would be known. He said he was sorry, he temporarily looked like a decent guy. Like the guy I used to know.

I filed in the guy behind Jamie, I pushed aside what had just happened and concentrated on what was happening. As we walked in we were instructed to separate according to gender. Girls on the left boys on the right. we shushed as the headmistress walked on the stage.

"Dear second years, today you find out who your true soul mates are. To do so you have to follow a careful set of instructions. First you will drink a special herbal tea that will lift the cover that has been keeping the soul mates apart. Although if your powers are really strong I doubt that you haven't already met your soul partner. Then the males will line up in a line with their hands held outward. The females will be given 2 ribbons of the same color. One will be tied to their wrist, the other to be tied around the partners. This will be done in complete darkness, we wont let you hurt yourselves. Now lets line up." the headmistress cheerfully stated as we all looked at her in shock.

The little mugs of tea were being passed out among the students. I made sure to grab one and drink it to the last drop, as did all the others. Then the girls were given ribbons, Jamie helped my tie my crimson ribbon on my right arm, and I helped her tie her baby blue ribbon on her slim, shaking wrist. The other ribbon held tight in my hand. I was shaking, with anticipation. I looked up the line to see Jake set an empty mug down on the tray. I looked at all the guys, there was about 20 or so, 4 or 5 I had met or talked to briefly at my time here at ashes. They included, Quinn, Wayne, Gregory, James, and Jake. Ah always he has to be mixed into the emotional stew.

Headmistresses voice once again rang out. As the girls lined up.

"AS of NOW absolutely no one will talk until the lights are turned back on" the lights flickered off. Sending us into pitch dark, even my 20 20 vision was useless in total darkness. "calm down, if you don't find your partner today don't worry, almost 50 % of soul partners are found outside of the gym, this assembly is only a precaution to lessen the number of people touching each other." wow that was a nice little pep talk.

We had arranged ourselves so that there was a line of guys, the guys had their hands sticking strait out, a girl would walk down the line touching every guys hand, if she felt a spark and a wave of dizziness when touching a hand, she had to quickly tie the ribbon around the guys wrist, then walk directly across from them until the wall. They then had to wait for the lights to turn on. I know so suspenseful right?

I felt a tap on my shoulder, signaling me to walk forward. So I did. Carefully.

I slowly moved forward feeling the first guys hand.

no.no.no.no kept repeating its self as I walked down the line.

no.no.no.no I got to about the 15th hand when I felt it.

A spark shot through my body, a small wave of dizziness washed over me. I grabbed the hand that had caused this and quickly tied the ribbon around his wrist. His hand was sweating.

I turned sharply on my heel and walked opposite him, when I felt my hand brush against the wall I stopped and turned around. I waited in agonized silence as I herd the quiet patter of female feet, the gasp and intake of breath, as they found out who their soul partners hand. The occasional cough and shuffle. It seemed like hours, but was probably minutes I stood waiting there.

As the patter of feet stopped moving, I heard someone through the switch. The lights blindingly flipped on, my eyes took a few seconds to adjust but when they did, oh I wish It was still dark.

Directly across from me was,

Jake

I instantly thought I had veered of track maybe walked a little to far left, my internal rambling stopped when I saw his right hand twitch, and on his right wrist was a ribbon. A blood red ribbon, a ribbon Identical to the one around my own wrist.