Chapter Fourteen| Not What, Who

This chapter didn't really turn out how I wanted it to but I hope you enjoy it anyway.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN| NOT WHAT, WHO

The sun had just begun to rise when the sound of something hitting my closet door causes me to bolt up in bed, wiping at the sleep stuck in the corners of my eyes as Parker, half asleep and only in his boxer briefs, jumps from the bed with ready fists. Noel, with her hair falling over her shoulders in tangles, looks between the two of us before crawling over the crumpled comforter and collapsing on top of me.

“Um, good morning?”

“I’m hungover.”

I sigh, pushing her hair away from her face. “How about some coffee?”

Noel nods. “A lot of coffee.”

She crawls off of me and walks out the door. I watch the door carefully as I pull a pair of shorts on, Parker laying across my bed, blinking at me with red eyes. As he opens his mouth to say something, Noel walks back into my room, a pair of Nolan’s sweatpants in her hands. When she sees me staring, she drops of shoulders and crosses her arms across her chest.

“What?”

I nod my head at the sweats in her hands. “I could have given you a pair of mine.”

She shakes her head. “It’s okay, his are more comfortable anyway.”

This causes me to cock my head to the side, my hands falling to rest on my hips. “How would you know?”

“Uh… boys pants are more comfortable, you know?”

I just nod, smirking. “Sure.”

She looks around the room for a minute before hitching her thumb towards the bathroom door. “I’m gonna go shower.”

“Yeah, you do that.”

As Noel closes the door behind her, I sit on the behind next to Parker, running my hand through his hair when he drops his head into my lap, looking up at me with a tired smile.

“Hey, Parker?”

He pulls my hands to rest on his chest. “Yeah, darlin’?”

“Can you tell me about your brother?” He closes his eyes, nodding a little.

“What do you want to know?” He asks.

I shrug my shoulders. “Anything.”

“Alright” He says. “Well, I was twelve when he ran away, he’s four years older then me and had just turned sixteen. We were close, real close actually, but he didn’t want anything to do with dad or the way he treated us. So he left. The last time I heard from him was a year ago, he said he was in California but I don’t believe that.”

“Why not?”

He shrugs his shoulders. “He’s not… my brother is a good ol’ southern boy, that’s what ma always said. He liked doin’ rodeo’s and he was really good at it too. I just don’t think he’d go there.”

“What’s his name?”

Parker smiles as he answers. “Wyatt.”

I smile at the look of admiration setting into his features and lean down to kiss his forehead. “I love you.”

Parker chuckles, reaching up to brush my hair behind my ear. “I love you too, Sable.”

“Aw.” Noel stands in the doorway of the bathroom, her wet hair already starting to curl against the faded dark blue of her hoodie. “You two are nauseatingly adorable.”