To be a Princess

To be a Princess

Chapter 1

The pattering sound of feet against the wooden floor was all that could be heard in the Sukinozuka dojo. Otherwise, the estate the spotless, pristine and empty. The perfect example of a traditional Japanese dojo and estate.

A girl was performing a series of complex movements before a grim figure who stood watching over her with his arms crossed and an eagle eye that was scanning her for any mistakes. She moved with agility and absolute precision but as time went on, her power began to waver as she ran out of energy.

"AGAIN!" the man yelled at the top of his lungs as the girl knelt on the floor panting. She had just completed an hour-long series of forms that her father had put together for her. Her lungs were burning with every breath she took, her throat dry and her muscles aching from the strenuous activity.

"How do you expect to beat the Haninozuka's at this rate?!" he continued with frustration as she tried to slow her breathing and heart rate so that she could respond to him in a way that was adequate for the heir of the Sukinozuka family.

The Sukinozuka dojo is one of the best in Japan - second only to the semi-aristocratic Haninozuka family - but that just doesn't seem to be good enough for the current head of the family. He wanted to be the absolute best in the country. The girl continued to pant as she tried her best to form a response.

Having waited long enough, her father scoffed and spoke instead. "Actually, never mind.  I can see that you can't even reply to me right now. We'll just have to practice again tomorrow until you can do it perfectly," he said as looked down at her with eyes filled with disappointment. Her eyes began to fill with sadness as she peered into her father's eyes. That's the worst look he could ever give her. She hated not living up to his high expectations. He was all she had left

"Yes father," she softly replied as she stood up and bowed respectfully before turning to leave the dojo.

"And remember - tomorrow you are starting at Ouran, where both the sons of Haninozuka attend. So you must do everything in your power to beat them in everything. In martial arts, studies, clubs. Everything." he reminded her as she felt his gaze pierce through the back of her head.

"Yes, father. I know," she said as she bowed her head, not daring to look him straight in the eye.

"You are dismissed," he said turning away from her and opting to observe the calligraphy on the thin white scrolls that hung on the wooden walls.

As she trudged towards her room, she could hear the birds singing cheerfully to their heart's content flying in their little groups high in the trees of our otherwise rather empty garden. Like a happy family.

Once she reached the door of her room, she slid it open and entered in complete silence.

It was very plain. You wouldn't be able to tell that it was a girl's room. The walls were a plain cream colour and a relatively small bed was positioned in the corner of the room. It was enough for her. As long as her father or anyone else that she cared about was happy, then she would do anything for them.

She lay in her bed staring at the blank ceiling, wondering what it would be like if her mother was still there beside her father. 'If she were still here would father still be as he were before? Would he not have become serious about being the top dojo in Japan? Would he not force me to go to Ouran and disguise myself as a boy just to beat the Haninozuka?' 

An image of their happy family flashed through her mind but she quickly pushed it out of her mind. Her eyes began to well up with tears but she quickly blinked them away. 'I must not cry. I need to be strong. I need to show no mercy. That was what my father taught me.' she recited to herself with determination.

Even though the dresses looked uncomfortable and were a horrible banana colour, the girls at the school still looked rather pretty. The girl sighed. 'I want to be pretty. I want to be like every other normal girl. I want to be that princess that gets her prince charming. But that will never happen. I'm too much of a tomboy and I'm not pretty enough. No boy would like me.'

She turned her head to look at the light brown wig and boys' uniform that her father had bought for her as a disguise. she wondered if she would be expelled if the school ever found out that her enrolment forms were falsified and she was caught in her disguise.

She soon dismissed the thought. She was confident enough in her skills that no one would ever come close to finding her out. That was the last thought in her mind before she drifted into a deep dreamless sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited: 31/05/2022