Mackie, May I? Chapter 5

I don’t sleep at all that night, of course, the prospect of actually forming a completely physical relationship with Jesse running rampant through my mind.  At some points during the night I found it nearly impossible not to run down to his room and make him go as far with me as I can, and at other points I was thanking God it was the middle of the night and I had every excuse in the book to stay huddled in bed. I thought about how good it feels to have him near me, on me, and how the exact same things feel absolutely terrifying.

By the time the sun starts rising and the light through our window increases, I feel groggy and exhausted and like getting out of bed will kill me.  But then Carly’s alarm begins to blare and she’s up and moving around the room, getting ready for some family brunch she told me about a few days ago.

She leaves just a few minutes after she wakes up and I cuddle deeper into my bed, wishing that I could be one of those people able to go back to sleep after having been woken up.  But as thirty minutes pass in complete consciousness, I once again realize that I haven’t been blessed with that gene.

So I reluctantly pull myself out of bed and decide to get ready for the day, not really knowing what I’m going to do since the boutique is closed on Sundays and I don’t have class.  I don’t have much homework due this upcoming week, and while I could spend the day studying for an oral Spanish test quickly approaching, I’m too torn up about my conversation with Jesse last night to concentrate on much else.

I dress in simple denim capris and V-neck, but I spend more time on my makeup than normal purely because I have the time to.  I straighten my blonde hair instead of putting it in loose waves like normal, and by the time I’m satisfied with my appearance it’s almost time for lunch.

I spend the majority of the afternoon walking around the mall, mainly window shopping and getting only things I figure I can’t live without.  Even though I went to the mall just two days ago, there’s a total difference between going by myself and going with the just-a-bit-too-vibrant Jon.  It’s relaxing, to the say the least, and by the time I’m walking back to the dorms later that evening, I’m feeling much better than I did when I woke up this morning.

Carly is in the middle of the hallway as soon as I walk in, looking like she’s just gotten back from her parents, so I immediately call out to her.  “Carls!”

She turns around and, upon seeing me, smiles and says, “Fancy meeting you here.”

I roll my eyes at her and half-run to her position a few yards ahead of me, asking her, “You’re just getting back? Kind of a long brunch.”

“Tell me about it,” she says dryly, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.  “I ended up getting roped into babysitting my baby cousin because all the older people wanted to go shopping at that new antique place without me.”

“Sucks for you,” I answer.  We both take the final few steps to our suite door and then hightail it into our room, me shutting the door behind us.  “Other than that, how was it?  Was your grandma awful to you again?”

“Surprisingly no,” she answers, placing her purse onto her dresser and then quickly checking her appearance in her mirror.  Her phone then beeps from inside of her pocket, and as she pulls it out and checks whatever just signaled the beep, I start pulling my cute new booties off of my feet.

A few seconds later she says, “She did make a few choice comments about how low-cut my shirt was, though.”

I look away from where I’d been picking at my chipped toe nail polish and curiously look at her shirt, becoming pretty confused when I see no distinct cleavage line or anything.  Laughing, I ask, “Seriously?”