XXI - Surveillance

Spanish was incredibly dreary. I couldn’t understand anything with Vincent snoring quietly beside me. It wasn’t at all okay having my classmates look at me like I just dropped my underpants in front of the whole school. But what concerned me more was Dad.

What if he left the stove on? Not to mention that our house was a screaming fire hazard. I wanted to check on him. I wished to see if he was doing okay without me. Most of all, I wished to say goodbye, if it was the last thing I would do.

But not just yet.

I thought of contacting him but I was afraid he would try to find me and take me back if I did that.

During the break, Lindsay warily approached me, a worried look in her face. Beside her, Carter stood silently looking like he wanted to be anywhere but there. They both eyed Vincent who was still asleep.

“Aramis, can we talk to you? Alone…” Lindsay mumbled taking my hand.

Glancing at Vincent, I shook my head gently and smiled. “No. Not really. We can talk here if you want.”

Clearing her throat, Lindsay pulled a chair towards me and sat. “What’s—What’s happening? You kept ignoring us. You’ve not been yourself lately. A-and we’re worried.”

“Don’t.” I gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. “Everything’s going to be a lot better now, but I don’t think we could hang out any more like we used to. It’s… not safe."

“This is his idea,” muttered Carter resentfully, his hands clenched on his sides. “Why are you even with him? Don’t tell me that he’s alreadyhe’s your—“

“No Carter.” With a sigh, I cut him off gently. “But he’s helping me get over this… phase. You’ve been really good friends and thanks for that. But please, for you own good, just… stay away from me.”

“What is going on? Mom kept telling me to warn you,” Lindsay whispered, breathing raggedly. “Don’t crossover. Don’t cross the Gates. T-that’s what she kept saying. I don’t understand, Aramis.”

A shudder ran down my spine, remembering the first time I dropped over Lindsay’s.

Don’t cross the Gates!

That was what Mrs. Moseley kept yelling at me.

So far, her predictions had been accurate—I died. But as for why I couldn’t crossover or how Lindsay’s mom knew about the Gates, I still had to find out.

Just then, Mr. Simpson, the Physics teacher entered, sweeping the room with big impassive eyes.

Weird.
The teacher didn’t seem to be bothered by Vincent’s presence or the fact that h had just deviated from the original seating plan. He just went over to his desk mindlessly while telling the class to open our textbooks to page eighty three and read it.

Usually, he would torture us to death with pop quizzes in line with his lifelong dedication to crushing every student’s hopes and dreams.

Carter glanced back at me before heading back to his seat.

He looked like a mess, seemingly unaware that his dirty blond hair was sticking in all directions or that his shirt was buttoned wrong.

When I looked closer, I saw what Vladimir told me. Carter’s left eye looked disturbing as though he just spilled black ink over it. The iris was electric blue with blotches of black that constantly crept and moved, making my stomach churn.

In panic, I nudged Vincent who woke up looking rather irritated.

“What?” he hissed.

“L-look,” I tilted my head to Carter’s direction.