Chapter 4

I was so happy, Callie my best friend, was finally back in town after two months in New York. She called me last night and we were meeting up tonight. I was looking forward to it. We have so much to catch up on. I barely heard from her because of work and the deadlines she had etc. Callie works for a fashion magazine and she gets to travel all around the work for photo shoots and Fashion shows. It seemed so extravagant and interesting compared to my mundane job. The only thing somewhat unusual y that occurred in the office was when Cyril’s ham sandwich mysteriously disappeared from the desk in his office. I believe that he just ate it. I know, I know that the arrival of Hamilton should have been number one on the interesting things to happen in the office but he has just been a jackass from day one. He doesn’t even register in my mind for the prestigious award. But anyway back to Callie, God I am so easily sidetracked. We have been best friends since college. We went to the same university and everything. I missed her much. She is like a sister to me.

I couldn’t wait for the weekend either even if I had to spend it in London with my parents. It was a chance to get away from Hamilton and his stifling personality. A whole two days without him. It is going to be the best weekend ever, well I hope so. It was surprisingly warmer outside today and I hoped that it would stay that way. Paris looked beautiful; it was lit up by the sun’s rays. Although I love winter gloomy days in Paris were just depressing.

I arrived in work on time and took my usual seat at my desk and relaxed. Today I was going to enjoy myself and not go near Hamilton even if I’m paid to. Well I am paid to; it was a figure of speech. Anyway I arranged the paperwork on my desk, turned on my computer and studied Hamilton’s schedule for the day. He didn’t have any meetings in the afternoon so I was hoping he would give me the rest of the day off. The chances of that happening were very slim.

There was a knock on the door and I stopped typing. Julie was standing in the doorway.

“Julie, when did you get back? Come in sit down” I said gesturing to the seats in front of my desk. I was surprised nobody told me that Julie was coming back. She didn’t even message me at all. She probably had enough of her toy boy Davide and decided to come back to her job. To tell the truth I have actually no idea what Julie actually does. I always wondered why she was hired in the first place.

“Hey” she replied with a sad smile on her face. “I only got back today and I decided to come into the office” I could tell that she was upset but I didn’t know why. “What’s wrong Julie you know you can tell me anything? I’m here for you” She tried to smile again but it was wobbly. She shook her head from side to side, and then a loud emotional sob betrayed her. Tears ran down her face and so too did her mascara. I walked around my desk and grabbed onto her, hugging her. “Don’t cry Julie it’s okay, shhh it’s fine” I tried to sooth her but the sobs just got louder and more frequent. I sat holding her for a couple of minutes. Once she started to calm down I let her go and made her some tea. She sipped on it quietly with salty tears lining her face. “Do....do you want to tell me what’s wrong” she looked up; tears were welling in her eyes again. “It’s okay Julie if you don’t want to talk about it, its fine” I said soothingly. She mumbled something, quickly looking down after saying it. “I’m sorry I didn’t hear you Julie”. “I said I’m pregnant” she whispered. I gasped; I didn’t know what to say.

“That’s why I never replied to any of your texts and calls” she sobbed. I leaned forward and put my head in my hands. “Who’s the father, is it Davide” I asked. “There is no Davide, I made him up. I knew ye wouldn’t question me if you thought I was going on holidays with a guy. I needed a break from everything, I went back home to my parents.” “Do they know about...?” I asked. “No I never told them. S...S...Sebastian is the father” she looked down in shame and the hysterical crying started again. I grabbed her in a bear hug. “Oh no” I whispered.