Chapter 20

Firing both her concussion missiles, Veronica watched for the impact as she quickly moved the sub into the chamber area. The blue dragon heaved its body again, and propelled out another batch of black sand matter. The concussion missiles detonated, but the black matter enveloped it to contain its force, eliminating the explosion.

Mark could not believe his eyes as he viewed the sight while the hatch slowly closed. Upon closing, the chamber was emptied of water. No explanations were needed as they got out of the subs and ocean suits. Seeing the destructive power of the blue dragon made them all feel like rats in a trap. Bill helped Marie out the sub as she was still not in a position to move quickly. His leg and shoulder ached, but he put the pain aside in his mind, determined to save his family.

"How far are the escape ships Colonel?" asked Mark. "Colonel?" repeated Mark, looking around for him just in time to view a leg running around the corner of the corridor tube. "Sonova!"

"Never mind him," yelled Grace, "We have to move now. If that blue dragon creature sends out its black sand onto the exterior of this facility, it could break through and flood the place."

Terry went to take Marie out of Bill's arms. Although reluctant, Bill knew that Terry was stronger. Handing her over, Bill could now assist Selena. Looking ahead, Bill knew that the effects from Selena's alien captivity must've worn off. Selena was already ahead of them, running in her trademark fashion. For the briefest of moments, Bill could picture her on the soccer field again. Then Bill began to think how things would never be the same again. Bryant and his family were dead, along with many millions more. Would they even have a soccer ball on Mars?

Exiting the antechamber, they went through another hatch into one of the main corridors of the complex. Sealing the hatch behind them, they momentarily breathed a sigh of relief. The roof of the corridor tube was made from clear ultra high grade Perspex, specially coated in a silicon Kevlar substance for maximum protection. Bill and the others looked above through the clear Perspex roof where they would normally be viewing amazing tranquil ocean scenes. Instead, every square inch of the view was blocked by swarming alien sea creatures. Fangs bared, tentacles wriggling, and ugly suckers pushed upon the tube. The force of the pressing attackers caused the facility to shake and groan.

"Right about now I am wishing they had built the whole tunnel out of metal," remarked Grace.

Selena trembled as the aliens slithered overhead, desperate to crack the outer wrapper of the facility, to open the way to the tasty humans. Pacing slowly at first, the group warily walked underneath the sea creature sky garden, looking for signs of cracking Perspex, or ruptured metal. A few blue plasma bursts got them all to sprinting pace, racing to make it to the next section.

Turning the corner, they went through a connecting 'T' section. Mark halted for a moment and held up his hand, indicating a call for silence. "Where are we going?" asked Bill earnestly while keeping an eye on Marie and Selena. Mark held up his hand, again calling for silence. In amongst some laboured breathing, Mark could just discern the running footsteps of the Colonel and the President.

"This way," said Mark, indicating with his arm down another corridor off to the left. If it wasn't for the teaming alien sea creatures blocking the view through the Perspex, it would be easy for them to see the direction of the escape ships. Along the inside of the corridors were the occasional air tank and suits, ready for an emergency. A series of watertight emergency doors were also installed when the facility was built. Mark hoped that the aliens didn't cause a rupture which prevented their path to the ships.

Marie let out a worried cry as the endless mass of hideous alien creatures got to be too much for her. Bill dropped back his pace a little to be level with Terry and Marie. Bill grabbed Marie's hand while running, assuring her it was all going to be okay.