Chapter 3

Chapter 3

We were sat in Biology on the third day and Tia gently nudged me. “Willow?” 

“Yeah?” 

“Can Josh borrow a pencil sharpener, please?” 

“No.” 

She sighed. “I knew you were going to say that. But do you mind if I borrow a pencil sharpener?” 

“Ok.” She delved through my pencil case; found the pencil sharpener and gave it to Josh. I gritted my teeth, but didn’t comment. He swiftly sharpened his pencil, flapped the shavings off his desk and handed it back, mouthing sorry. I snatched it and put it back in my pencil case, pulling the zip so ferociously I broke it. I swore and tried to line the tracks back up again, but no such luck. 

“Willow!” 

Ms. Emery’s voice ripped through me. A strict and stubborn teacher, she wore her greying hair in a bun and wouldn’t look out of place in a 1950s school. I could have sworn her mustache wiggled just then. I clamped a hand over my mouth to suppress a snort- and I could feel Tia shaking next to me. I knew she had the same thought in her head. 

“Stop being such silly girls! Take that smirk off your face, Willow, it’s not funny!” she thundered.“If your pencil case is broken, just leave it and I’ll see if I can find a safety pin at the end of the lesson, but please try to concentrate on the work!” More wiggles from the grey caterpillar snoozing underneath her nose. 

“Yes, Ms. Emery. I am sorry. I was just having a silly, immature giggle,” I said meekly. She looked satisfied; she turned back to the whiteboard. I couldn’t look at Tia, I’d just burst out laughing- but at least I was feeling better. 

But my new mood didn’t last very long. As Maths was the last lesson Ross was waiting outside school. He grinned at Tia, whisking her into a passionate hug. She hugged him back, giving him a long kiss, while he responded. It was rather uncomfortable to see; I’d rather see pot-bellied pigs roll around in mud. While putting up with the smell. I looked at Josh and his expression mirrored mine, disgusted and shocked. As well as another emotion that I couldn’t identify. I looked away again because I remembered I wasn’t speaking to him. I went walking off, leaving the thrashing twosome and Josh on his own. 

I started to walk home and as I pasted down a little path, I heard rapid footsteps and two hands grabbed my shoulders. I was about to scream as it pushed me behind the trees. 

“Shh! Shut up, Willow, it’s only me!” it hissed, placing a finger on my lips. 

I recognized that voice, the one person I didn’t want to speak to now. 

“Josh! Go away,” I snarled at him. I went to stalk off but he caught my arm and pinned me against a tree. It didn’t hurt, but it scared me; he felt in control. I wasn’t going to admit this though, so I glared at him, locking eyes, trying to show I wasn’t afraid. 

“No, Willow. This has gone on long enough. Ok, I was mean and all, but I’m not worrying about me here...” 

“Well, that makes a change,” I muttered. I tried to break away from him, but he held on tightly. My heart immediately started thumping as his hands curled tighter around them. 

“Just stay still please, Willow. I have something important and quite...shocking...to tell you.” 

I stopped struggling. What? He never talked like this before. He saw he’d got my attention and continued. 

“Well, you know Tia?” 

I rolled my eyes. “Duh...” 

“I heard Ross and his cronies talking about his date with her tonight, and...” 

“And?” I prompted, a tad impatient. 

“They were betting on whether Tia would go...” His voice faltered. 

I sighed with exasperation. “Honestly, Josh. Are you retarded?” 

He glared at me. “They were betting on whether she was going to go all the way.” 

I frowned at him, puzzled. “Huh?” 

“You know. If Ross could get her to...have sex.” He whispered the offending words. 

“Oh my God!! That winker! That...ugh...” I snarled. “Have you talked to Tia about it?” 

“Yes. Well, I tried to. She just laughed it off...and then I made it worse. We got into an argument about him, and I told Tia he was way too old for her. She argued that he was only in the year above, but I said that he acted way too old for her. Then she accused me of being jealous, poking fun at me because I didn’t have much experience in these situations. She said she doubted that I’d ever kissed anyone else besides my mum and dad. I got real pissed off then and told her she was being stupid. Then she ran away...” Josh was on the verge of tears now; I recognized his body stance when he was feeling upset. He looked at me, an agonized expression clear on his face. “I’ve screwed everything up, haven’t I?” he whispered. 

“Big time,” I muttered, not intended for his ears, but he caught it all the same. He released me; I rubbed my arms from where he’d pinned me. I started to walk away, but he caught up with me. 

“Please, Willow...I know you’re annoyed with me, but we have to save Tia from Ross. She’s our best friend.” 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! What’s with the “we” part? There isn’t a “we” now.” 

“There is.” He sounded defiant. “We always have been a “we”. We always will be a “we”. We’ve argued in the past, Willow, we’ve fallen out...but we’ve always patched it up. Why can’t you just do this for Tia? I think they’re planning it tonight and I’m scared this could be date-rape.” He shuddered. 

“Of course I’m going to help Tia; I just don’t want you butting in! You’ve already cocked it up, you said so yourself!” 

“Oh, for Christ’s sake.” He leant against a tree, a scowl on his face. “Why do you always have to be so difficult?” 

It was quite astonishing seeing such an expression on his normally sweet features. He’d always been such a pleasant, sensitive, smiling little boy. But as soon as we reached year 10 he changed dramatically-and not for the better. He was more cynical and stubborn, and got frustrated easily. He couldn’t confide in me like he could when we were younger. It was painful to watch. 

“Why do you have to be so different?” I whispered, and then brushed past him, not looking back. He didn’t follow. Much as I loved him, I knew I had to do this on my own.