The plan

“Heh…You’ve got spunk my dear,” Death smirked at me from beneath his hood. He reached up a gloved hand and patted my head softly. “I like that about you….” He didn’t sound old. Indeed, he sounded younger than me, more like he was in his teens. It was hard to tell though, since his face was covered. “But you haven’t done anything to deserve hell.”

I blinked. “Then why did you ask me?” I asked. I wasn’t angry and I wasn’t confused. I didn’t feel anything, nothing at all. I was just a shell, a hollow outline of what I had been in life; nothing more and nothing less.

Death had very white teeth. He laughed softly at me, “Isn’t it obvious my dear Nina?” He asked, “It wasn’t your time.” My eyebrows knitted together, not understanding.  “You had another fifty years on you.” I still didn’t know where this was going.  “You had another half century to decide what kind of person you were going to be. Now we’ve got to get you ready.” His tongue darted out licking around his lips.

“Get ready?” I questioned.

“You choose hell right?”  I nodded. “Well then. How about you do something to deserve it then? Let’s say…We kill your boyfriend.”

I blinked at him. Kill my boyfriend…kill the man who had murdered me. A slow smile spread across my face. Apparently, I could feel something – bloodlust.

Maybe I had loved Simon in another life. Maybe I still did. But he had cut my life short, forced me to leave before my time. It was impossible not to feel resentment.

But did I want to kill him?

 It was such a unique opportunity – kill the person who had wrapped his arms around my neck and murdered me.  “When can we start?”