Chapter Two

---------------------------------------------

Dedication: OhhMyGoshxD for making me the awesome cover!

-----------------------------------------------

I sat at the back of the class, in right hand corner, half sunken into my chair. That meant I didn't turn my back on anyone in class, preventing anything being thrown at me. Or said about me, not that that stopped them from openly speaking about me like I wasn't there.

Normally I knew the answers the teachers wanted to know, but I rarely raised my hand. That's just raising awareness of my existence. I was in the top class though, so that was a plus. Most of the  famous 'It' girls weren't capable of being in here, which was a good thing.

Most of the teachers knew the girls bullied and harassed people, but since their Daddy's helped fund the school, they couldn't really do much about it. It was pretty sick when you thought about it. I walked out of class quickly, my head down and making no eye contact. I shovelled my stuff in my bag and hitched it over my shoulder. I quickly walked to the canteen, trying to get there before all the pizza singles were taken. 

"Why the rush?" I heard a voice joke. I kept going, ignoring the voice. They couldn't possibly speaking to me. 

"Wow, can't even to stop and chat."  the voice mused.

Hah, I knew that voice. It was Jason Mayor from my year. He didn't seem like a bad guy, but I didn't know him that well. He was one of the most attractive boys in the whole school. He only just recently broke up with the main 'It' girl, Britney Chevaleir. She was one of the main culprits in the group of girls. I just stayed away from them as much as I could and mostly they left me alone.

"Emma?" He asked. 

I stopped in my tracks at the mention of my name. Did he really just say it? I slowly pivoted around to stare at him with round eyes. I tried not to let my eyes wander. He had a surfer tan and sun bleached blond hair. His eyes were so bright and blue, they almost hurt to look into.

"Oh... a-are you talking to me?" I stammered nervously.

"Yes," he laughed and that alone was like music to my ears.

My eyes widened in surprise and I looked around, seeing if there were any witness' to this amazing revolution. Who in their right mind would speak to an 'outsider' such as myself? I considered myself lucky at this exact moment.

"Unless that's a problem?" he asked, frowning slightly at my lack of response.

"No, no problem!" I said a little too quickly, a stupid grinning forming on my face. "I'm just surprised you know who I am, that's all." 

I made an incline that I was going to keep walking and he fell in step with me, much to my utter astonishment. I glanced at him, once more, my eyes bulging from their sockets. He gave me a lazy smile and my heart stuttered inside my chest.

Keep your cool, Emma.

"You can move fast when you want to," he grinned, keeping up with me. 

"Yeah, well, those pizzas sell out pretty quickly..." I trailed off in embarrassment, ducking my head slightly. He just laughed. The sound of it made me want to melt. I was extremely surprised he'd risk harassment by speaking to me. I nibbled at my lip, resisting the urge to just gaze at him.

"Aren't your friends going to be upset with you?" I asked. We reached the canteen line and I halted. I scanned my eyes through the hot box. Yes, still two available. "With, you know, speaking to an outsider?"