Chapter 13: The Root of the Problem

The Root of the Problem

"I feel sluggish," Cid muttered bluntly as he landed on a rooftop.

"That's the suit. The other one is more advanced, remember?" King responded.

"So why don't I go get the suit from that lab? That is what you said I was doing today, right?"

"This is more important."

"Right," Cid mumbled, landing on the rooftop.

"We have seventeen hostiles. Take it easy."

"Right. I got this. I'm just stealing a package, right?" Cid asked as he gently eased himself onto the rafters.

"Yes. Try to avoid being spotted. It would make things much easier."

At that moment, one of the guys pointed to where Cid was standing. Within five seconds, the goons in the warehouse had pulled guns and started firing.

"I think they saw me," Cid announced as he jumped from rafter to rafter, avoiding screaming hot iron as he tried to find a defensible position.

"That much is obvious. Did you spot the package?" King asked.

"No. I can't see the packages past the guys who are shooting at me!" Cid almost screamed as he leapt down from the rafters and came crashing down behind some crates.

"He's behind some of the product!" he heard a voice shout, followed by the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Product?" Cid asked himself, elbowing the crate in front of him and removing one of the packages. "This is what you need, right King?"

"Well I can't see it, obviously, but I think so. Now get the h*** out of there."

He didn't need to be told twice. He leapt over the crates, surprising the goons who had closed in on him, dodged the bullets from the two goons that were quick enough to shoot at him, and leapt out of the door and into the river before the others even had a chance to pull their guns.

Hidate Hiragazawa slammed his fist on the table.

"What the h***? I get rid of one rat, and another one pops up!" he bellowed.

"We were informed that the individual managed to steal a kilo of our product before fleeing into the river," an attendant declared.

"So what's your guess? Junkie or dealer?" Hiragazawa asked.

"My guess is that he is neither. He was far too calm and relaxed to be a junkie, yet he seemed to be talking to another party through a headset," the attendant said in response.

"So you believe that he's a supplier?"

"Yes. I believe that he's supplying to a dealer."

"Right, then. Brief Akuraba on this incident. Tell him to get his people to interrogate every dealer on the market. Make someone talk. Send Dr. Wagner in."

"Yes sir," the attendant stated before swiftly leaving the room. Almost immediately after, Dr. Wagner entered the room.

"You called me?" he asked.

"I want to know what you did with Iblis. You need to tell me, and you need to tell me now. Did you eliminate him?" Hiragazawa asked.

"Why do you ask?" Dr. Wagner asked calmly.