"Me too, Aunt Jenna, me too. And it's only been three months. I was home in October"

"You know what I mean, Jade. But nevertheless, you're back for good this time, right?"  

"Yeah, I guess. I quit my job at the studio" she sighed. 

Her aunt tried to look sad, but failed miserably. In truth, she was happy to have her dear niece back home.  "Dinner should be done now. Let's go in. Then you can tell us all about those handsome young men on the beaches of California" said Aunt Jenna, standing up and shooing her niece into the house and following behind closely.

                                                                                          ******

Jade laughed again as she hurled a throw pillow at Bob. She was seated with Macy, her aunt, Bob and Julia who had gone out to run some errands for Aunt Jenna. They sat in front of the fireplace and chatted while drinking mugs of steaming hot chocolate. Rain pelted the roof furiously outside. 

Jade missed the warmth and easy companionship of this people that had been her family since she was twelve. They had always been there for her when she needed them. Julia, only two years older than Jade had been her older sister in high school. Only child of Macy and Bob, she had lived with her grandparents until when she was fourteen, moving to New York to live with her parents in Aunt Jenna's house. Jade loved every member of her unusual family. From school plays until graduation day, they always supported her.

They talked late into the night until they were tired before saying goodnight. Jade went upstairs to her old room. It was still the way she left it, but had obviously been cleaned. Bob had brought up her case. Too tired to unpack, she just opened one of the smaller cases and pulled out an old warm and oversize T-shirt. 

After showering and changing, she fell into a long dreamless sleep. 

                                                                                *****

The smell of food woke Jade up. Her stomach growled as she rolled out of bed and stretched. She felt utterly relaxed and energized.  

Stuffing her feet into her old and worn bunny slippers, which always lay by the side of her bed, she yawned and headed to the adjoining bathroom to rinse her mouth. 

She went downstairs and followed her nose to the kitchen. Macy was stirring something in a pot while Bob was reading the paper. They looked up when she entered.  

"Mo-morning" she greeted stifling a yawn. 

"How are you feeling dear?" Bob asked. 

"Oh, very relaxed. Very very relaxed" she said grabbing some crackers on the table and nibbling at them. 

"Obviously" Macy grinned. 

"What?" Jade looked up. 

"Do you have any idea of the time now?" 

"No. What time is it?" Jade asked, looking around for a clock. 

"Its 1:30 in the afternoon" Macy replied. 

"Now, go wash up and come back to eat" she said, shooing in her out of the kitchen. 

"What! Why didn't anyone wake me up?" she cried. 

"Go ask your aunt". 

Jade grabbed some more crackers and started down the path to the home office. It was a bright afternoon, the sky completely devoid of dark clouds. 

Entering through the glass doors that were shut this time into the air-conditioned reception, Jade noted Julia's presence at her usual front desk, staring fixedly at the monitor on her desk.  

"Hey Jules" she greeted. 

"Hey, look who decided to wake up and join the living," she joked, looking up from the screen and smiling tiredly. 

"Yeah, I guess I was really jet lagged". 

Jade walked into the room.  

"Is Aunt Jenna busy?" she asked, motioning to the inner office with her head. 

"Yes, as a matter of fact, she is attending to a client right now as we speak," informed Julia. 

"Oh, OK then. I guess I'll just go and come back later," she decided, turning to go, but was interrupted by the creak of the opening inner door. 

She heard her aunt's voice. 

"I am very sorry for the inconvenience, Nicholas, I -" she stopped short when she saw Jade. 

Jade looked up and gasped   as she met the gaze of a man. She felt her chest tighten as she scanned his features. Well over six feet, he towered over her five feet four inches. He wore a black suit that fit him like a glove and looked like it was made for him.  He had the most commanding gray eyes, shot with flecks of gold. His midnight black hair was a tad too long for the polished executive look and touched the collar of his pristine white shirt. His face was hard and handsome in a way that some women like, but rugged to others. His lips were unsmiling and drawn in a straight line. 

Jade blushed deeply as she became fully aware of her appearance. She was still wearing her big green oversize T-Shirt that stopped just at mid thigh, feet encased in baby bunny slippers and her hair, a mop of untamed wild red curls. She blushed deeply to the roots of her hair.  

"Oh, Jade; I didn't know you were awake?" aunt Jenna asked. 

"I just woke up and came over to say hi" she replied, conscious of the dominating man standing beside her aunt, listening to every word of their conversation. 

Her aunt turned to the man. 

"I'll have someone over this afternoon and again I am very sorry for this". He nodded at her aunt, keeping his eyes trained on Jade; not attempting to hide the fact that he was staring.  

Jade averted her eyes, until she felt his presence leave the room before allowing herself to breathe steadily again.  

Julia coughed and winked at Jade knowingly.  

"What?" Jade half -snapped. 

"Nothing" she replied, the echoing sound of her laughter followed Jade out of the office.