Chapter 30

Avery?”

A voice whispered through the darkness.

“Avery…please wake up” I was conscious but my memory wasn’t. As I opened my eyes, I saw the familiar white ceiling as I was lying on a bed.

“Avery?”

I turn my head to the direction of the voice, my vision was blurry at first but I squinted to get a focused image. Slowly a complexion began to appear, piercing chocolate brown eyes were intensely looking at me.

“Mason?” I managed to say with my voice sounding raspy.

He half smiled and kneeled down to my level and touched my right cheek.

“I’m glad you’re awake”

 I couldn’t get my head straight my thoughts were all over the place. I didn’t know how to warp myself together and try to comprehend what happen. But when I closed my eyes again, I saw everything. The train station, the voices, his cries, my screams…Joey.

Joey was gone, Joey wasn’t real…Joey was an illusion …he was nothing.

“Tell that didn’t happen…the train station - didn’t happen” I said staring at him.

He let out a long sigh and gave me a sympathetic look, “Avery…” he whispered.

I titled my head straight, staring back at the ceiling again and tears started streaming down my face. “No” Joey was my everything, he was my hope…

“I’m sorry, Avery.” Mason said.

“You knew about it?” I asked not intending to sound angry.

“Yes” he replied quickly, more warm tears traced a lonely path down my cheeks. “Why-why didn’t you tell me?” I said yelling as I sat back straight.

“As if you would have believed me if I did” he said calmly standing up from his position and sat up next to me. He’s point was valid; I loved Joey so much that I was blinded from reality. I felt my heart get clenched inside my chest. “No...No…NO!” I started to punch Mason chest aggressively and he stopped me by holding my hands and then he wrapped his arms around me as I started sobbing hysterically holding him tightly. “Shhh…it will be alright” There was a soothing effect in his voice that immediately made me feel safe. “I loved him” I said through the tears and hiccups, he slowly began to rock me back and forth.

“I know…I know” he said.

**

I spent the next hour just locked up in Mason’s arms, we lay down in the bed and I felt his fingers stroking my hair. He dismissed the nurses who tried to enter but everyone was so corporative so it wasn’t much trouble. I almost slept but then I felt Mason getting up that’s when I noticed that he was wearing  a white tank top and jeans even though it was freezing, I felt guilty and selfish but I cannot be alone and I didn’t want to be left with the nurses. “Don’t go…please” I said in sleepy tone.