Lessons on Freedom

I opened my eyes and stared.

Just like every other time, I awoke to a shrill alarm echoing and bouncing of every wall. It gave out three wailing cries before it abruptly stopped.

I climb out of bed, doing the same things I do every morning. The bed needs making, my face needs washing and my clothes need changing. I did my entire morning task in 5 minutes before returning to the single bed with all white sheets.

Nothing came as a surprise anymore; the four white walls, blindingly bright and pristine, shone bleakly back at me. Only small, almost invisible indentions on the wall opposite to my bed insinuated there was a way out of this room. But in reality there isn't, the only way it opened was from the outside, and unfortunately, I'm locked in.

The clock on the wall struck, 3:04. At this time every day, they came. Apparently they were late today.

The calendar in my room rested under the clock reading 'Week of April 13-20' Today is Thursday, 17th. The three days before Thursday weren't 'Happy Days' as my nurse put it, and she showed me by promptly putting three giant red frowning faces below Monday and Tuesday, and Wednesday, and shaking her finger at me, while lecturing me on my bad behavior. That might be why she was late today, something had gone wrong or she was just avoiding me.

I couldn't help but get a little hopeful at the thought, perhaps I was free today?

Wrong.

The door popped open just as the hopeful thought corrupted my mind. In strode Lars Sterlington, Head of Corrections.

Damn.

"I'm here to give you your doses today." He gestured to the suitcase in his hand.

I winced. Suitcases equaled Special Injection Days.

I nodded, not agreeing, but letting him know I heard him.

Lars started towards me, obviously just a little bit cautious. Not that I'll ever try anything on him, I'm pretty sure he has the ability to knock me into next year.

"Don't give me trouble today, kid. You don't want to lose anymore privileges, eh? If you're good today, you can join the others during free time." He took my silence as an agreement and completed the two paces it took to get from the door to my bed.

Placing the suitcase on my bedside table, he opened up the box and prepared the 'Specials.' I don't really like injections, not that I'm afraid of needles; I just don't like the idea of something working inside of me, where I can't see it or know what it's doing. Special injection days are the worse, they give weird side effects.

"Give me your arm." I begrudgingly lifted my right arm, letting it fall into his grip.

He took my blood first. I tried not to stare at the amount he was taking. It felt like a lot.

After he satisfied himself with my blood, he reached for the next syrine.

"You've seemed lonely these last few days." He commented tauntingly.

I grunted in reply.

"How are you? "

I still didn't reply.

"Answer me." He commanded, emphasizing his words by agressivley sticking the next needle into my arm.

I spoke through clenched teeth. "Fine."

"Really?" He challenged.

"Yes."

"Anwser me like I've trained you." He commanded.

I took a deep breath before anwsering.

"I'm fine. Thanks. How are you?"

Lars smirked at me. "Good boy."

I bit the inside of my cheek, preventing myself from lashing out. Lars knew how to get under my skin. Just being in the same room as him was enough to piss me off, but saying words like 'trained' and 'good boy' was enough to send me over the edge.

The next two syringes he gave to me were in silence. He didn't comment when I tensed as the last one went in. Sometimes it hurt. That one hurt a lot.

As Lars packed up, he sent me a knowing look.

"Who usually comes in to give you your daily doses?" I suspected a hidden motive in his question, but I answered it anyway.

"Linda."

"And who is Linda?" He prodded.

"A nurse."

"And who am I?"

"Head of Corrections."

"What is the nurses' job?" I felt my fist clench. These kinds of questions piss me off.

"Give us our doses. Keep us healthy."

"And what is my job."

"Keep us in line."

"So I shouldn't have to come in here to give you your doses, should I?" He continued.

"No."

"I've heard you've been giving Linda and some of her friends' trouble. She said you wouldn't willingly take your doses all this week and she had to get other nurses to hold you down. Yesterday she said she had to get some of my guards down here to get you to sit still. Is this true?"

My heart skipped a beat. My mouth felt too dry to speak, so I swallowed before answering.

"Yes."

"Have you been sleeping well lately?" The question caught me off guard. I assumed he'd be dishing out consequences, not asking about my well being.

"Well have you?"

My mind raced, how could he possibly know I haven't been sleeping? Then it clicked, if my sunken in eyes didn't tell him enough, the security camera in the corner of my room could tell him plenty.

He'd been watching me. Again. He specifically made it his job to make it known I had no freedom here. Every move I made was watched by him or one of his drones. And he made sure I knew that.

"You already know the answer." I replied icily.

His chuckled at my response.

"Alright, well one of those doses should kick in later; I guarantee you'll sleep well tonight."

He picked up the suitcase and swaggered to the door, but not before pulling out a bright green smiling face sticker and sticking it under Thursday on my calendar.

Like a fucking kid.

Amusement came off him in waves as he examined the other days.

"I'll return your privileges today. If you keep all green faces next week I'll reward you." He mocked.

Like always, as soon as Lars walked to the magic door, it opened.

He froze in the doorway, glancing back at me.

"I don't want to have to come back in here to give you your doses again. Understood?" His threat hung dangerously in the air.

"I understand."

His smile could be seen a mile away.

"Have a nice day, Alex."