Starting Fresh

ALL OF THE CHARACTERS IN THIS STORY ARE NOT OWNED BY ME THEY ARE FROM THE WORKS OF THE GREAT J K ROWLING. I'M MERELY USING THEM TO REALISE MY FANTASIES!

She stole glances at him from across the room, she had done so since they hit the age of about fifteen. He was so confident and demanding with the other students, strong and cocky, with that touch of arrogance that was just electrifying. So now she sits in her mid-year exams, in all of which she will earn top marks, and he sits three rows ahead and two seats to the right. His blonde hair slicked back so smoothly and it catches the candle light so willingly, the muscles in his neck tensed as his mind ticked away.

She sighs and returns to her parchment as she finishes her exam and then waited for the hourglass to empty. This was her last exam before the Christmas break, she wasn’t leaving for home this year; her parents were away in Switzerland so she was to stay at the school. Aurors had managed to restore their memories after the battle at the school. She had been invited to Ron’s house with Harry and the rest of the family, but she wanted to stay at the school to study further for her NEWTS next year, after all she wanted to do the best she could.

She and Ron had not lasted long, they just seemed to fizzle out, as did Harry and Ginny. She wasn’t really sure why but after all of the events of last year things just weren’t the same. Though they all decided to return to the school, Harry and a number of other students who fought have already gained entry to the auror program with the ministry. She was still planning what to do when she finished her final year. The hourglass reached the last few inches and drained quickly.

            “Stop writing please,” McGonagall said from the corner of the hall.

As the students began to file out of the room she watched as a blur of blonde hair and black robes leave his seat and move out of sight. She sighed again; he was never going to look at her the way she looked at him. The only way he would ever acknowledge her was in her fantasies.

“Hermione!” She turned to see Harry calling out for her.

He asked her to see them off at the train and she agreed. “Have a good Christmas.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us? There’ll be plenty of food I’m sure, knowing mum.” Ron asked.

“I really should get a leg up on my study, just go, and have fun. It’s only a few weeks anyway.”

“Alright.” Ron mumbled, she thought he might still be a little awkward around her.

“I wish you would come, Ginny keeps looking at me with sad eyes and it’s bloody depressing.” Harry whispered to her before they headed onto the train.

Hermione watched the train pull out of the station and looked down at her feet. Part of her wishes that she had taken them up on the offer, but until Ron meets her eyes again she’ll keep her distance. She walked back up to the castle and headed to the library, the books have always been loyal companions. She stroked the spines of the books on the giant shelves that have been collecting dust for months, it’s a wonder they were able to restore it to its former glory after the battle. And to think, these glorious old titles haven’t been given a double look since the restoration. Hermione was about to pull one off the shelves when she saw him go past, his blonde hair a blur as he walked quickly towards the restricted section.

Hermione watched him enter and disappear from view behind the shelves and thought to herself, I could be rebellious, maybe a walk in the restricted section would … aid my study. She rolled her eyes at the failed attempt at sounding mischievous. She checked to see if the librarian was watching and walked into the restricted section. It had been many a while since she had been in the restricted section. She walked past some rather odd titles and chains connecting books to the shelves. She heard scuffling coming from a few rows down and walked slowly towards it, not that she expected what she saw.