Flying Forgotten

NOTE: This will probably not be updated any more, as I am currently not working on this story. Please see my profile for more details. 

            'Once upon a time' begins the fairytales that are told to children around the globe.

            'Once upon a time' begins my tale, but it is also what ends it, for the words themselves foretell an ending that is inevitable, but is also delayed by mere hope.

             Hope, though, can never last for long. Neither can freedom; greed always rises to overcome it. And that, at the end of all good that previously existed, is how my story must begin.

             Once upon a time, nothing existed but truth. Those who were deaf could still hear, and those who were blind could still see, for every action and word was filled with love and nothing but it.

            Magic existed as well, allowing sickness and wounds to be made more bearable. The power of flight was not the birds’ alone, and wings which were all alike but for size sprouted from the backs of all the people of the world, so all parts of the earth could be explored and enjoyed. Only under the sea itself were people forbidden to go, for sunlight never touched those waters.

           But the world was destined to shatter. All humans were and still are alike in the way that childhood innocence and simple happiness can always evolve into greed and lust for power. Words formerly filled with nothing but open honesty became shrouded with the dark intentions of those who mean harm. And when these people are left to say as they please and do what they will, including going where it was forbidden, it is then that the world shatters.

            I have always known the world would break, the pieces scattering in the wind. But what I do not know is what will happen next.

            So ends the story of a time that was at once both nonexistent and never forgotten, and with it ends the story of a simple man, whose wings are now old and broken.

            Maybe, though, the piece with wings will be found again and the world I left behind will live once more. But if it does, one thing must always be remembered: Power and knowledge are dangerous, for with them comes responsibility, and such things are always taken too lightly.