Chapter Eleven

“Tori, Tori, Tori! The taxies are pulled by horsies!” Cat squealed. Tori looked around in dismay. Apparently in Yerba there were no such things as cars. The group had successfully retrieved their luggage and now they were looking for Sgrodis who was supposed to be driving (well not exactly) them to the hotel.

“Is that him?” Beck pointed to a man who was holding up a sign that said ‘TOREE VAGI’

“Seriously?” Tori asked. “Is that supposed to say Tori Vega?” Andre started laughing but stopped when she gave him a glare that put Jade’s to shame. They walked over to a man that resembled Festus but didn’t dress as stylishly and introduced themselves.

“Sgrodis?”

“Ya, ya, that is me!” the man exclaimed. Tori smiled uneasily at him.

“I’m Tori, this is Beck, Jade, Cat, Andre, Robbie and Rex and our teacher Sikowitz,” Tori introduced everyone and they all shook hands.

“Are we really riding to the hotel in that?” Jade asked pointing to the horse drawn carriage behind them.

“Yes, only the best for the Americans!” Sgrodis said enthusiastically. Sikowitz seemed to be the only person looking forward to the prospect and when they all squeezed into the tiny space, all eyes were glaring at Tori.

“So, this is fun!” she tried but as soon as she spoke everybody started talking at once, grumbling and complaining.

“Oh, come on guys! It’s an adventure!” Cat exclaimed. “Besides, I think the horsey likes me.”

“I can’t believe this,” Jade said throwing daggers at Tori. “You didn’t mention that Yerba still lives in the Dark Ages.”

“I didn’t know!” Tori tried to reason with everybody but it wasn’t working. Suddenly the carriage drew to a stop.

“We are here!” Sgrodis announced.

“And where exactly is here?” Beck asked quietly.

“Up there!” Sgrodis pointed to a massive hill where a building could be seen. It was too hard to see details but it was clear that was the hotel.

“We have to walk up there!?” Rex exclaimed.

“Rex, you don’t have legs,” Robbie reminded him.

“Are we supposed to heave our luggage up there?” Andre asked.

“I can’t believe this-”

“This is Tori’s fault-”

“I haven’t been working out-”

“Those coconut trees look nice-”

“No! Bad horsey! Don’t bite my hair!”

“Cat get away from the horse-”

“Guys!” Tori shouted. Everybody quieted down and looked at her. “Let’s just do this, okay?” Tori grabbed her suitcase and started to trudge up the trail. They followed suit and ten minutes later (it was almost fifteen because Robbie couldn’t hold his suitcase with Rex on his hand) they approached the hotel. Well, the word ‘hotel’ was a stretch. To put it nicely, it was a dump.

“Oh my God,” Tori breathed.

“This is our hotel?!” Andre exclaimed putting down his luggage.

“Gross,” Jade hissed. Tori couldn’t help but feel like crying again. This was a disaster!

“Now I’m kind of glad I don’t remember this place,” Sikowitz muttered. They dragged their luggage inside, which wasn’t any better. It was crawling with insects, the wallpapers were peeling and the furniture were all moth eaten. Sgrodis joined them inside and Tori went to check them in.