Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I started making my way downstairs, feeling both excited and anxious, my chest rising and falling rapidly. He was here. 

All I could see of him was the back of his head as he sat on the couch. I knew that he was aware of my prescence as his shoulders tensed up slightly, but it was like he was preparing himself to turn around.

So I just stood there, staring at the tendrils of hair that tickled his neck, wondering when everything just got so screwed up.

And how the hell I was processing it all like it was just an everyday normal scenario?

Eric stood up and finally turned around, his eyes burning into me with the intensity of a ravenous but cautious animal.

'Lia,' he whispered.

I stood transfixed as his voice caressed my ears, making me realise how much I missed him. I felt confused and overwhelmed as a mixture of emotions consumed me.

'Lia'. Eric grew closer to me, his arms reaching out to envelope me in a hug but before he could do so, a diatribe commenced.

'How could you?' I spat. 

Eric withdrew, looking forlorn and lost. But I couldn't care less. For the first time in weeks, I felt aware and in control of how I was feeling and I wanted to make it known.

'I wasn't living the best life in the world, I know that, but it was mine and I made it for myself. When my dad died, I had to sell the house to pay the debt and his funeral. I left my home with nothing but 26 dollars and a tiny backpack of clothes and I made nothing into something. It wasn't the best but it was something. And you,' I blinked back the tears as Eric look pained. '...and Nathan, you saw me and you tagged me as someone that was so insignificant  that nobody would care that I was gone. I'm not stupid Eric, I know what kind of girl I was back then. Untraceable. I was the perfect girl for the perfect crime; murder, prostitution,..... kidnap. I knew that. And that's what I thought when you threw me into the trunk of that car. It may have been a glorious moment for you and even hilarious watching my pathetic attempts to run away, but I was scared out of my wits because I knew the tag I carried. I was the perfect victim. Untraceable. I thought you were going to hurt me and kill me. I thought I was going to be reunited with my mom and dad again, if there is anything after this.'

I heaved as the grief started to claim my lungs. Eric just stood, watching me, and listening.

'Then you told me what you had planned for me. You didn't ask, you demanded and set my fate in concrete. You probably assumed that I would be grateful to you in some way, that my life before was so awful that I would eventually succumb to you in every way possible because what you were offering was the best I would ever get from this world. Well you are wrong. I don't want it. I just want my life to be mine again.'

Eric began to open his mouth but I interrupted.

'And then to top it off after all the trouble of getting me here, you run away.' I jabbed him in the chest, putting emphasis on the last three words. 

I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath as my verbal stream was over. I didn't even know I was crying until I felt Eric's fingertips brush the tears gently off my cheeks.

'I'm so sorry. Words can't describe the deepfelt disgust at how I have behaved. Please sit down with me. We need to talk.'

I felt Eric's hand envelope my own as he led me to the couch. As soon as we were comfortable, he began talking.

'The literature on this ritual is well not much to be honest. A collection of letters, diaries and some notes that have been made but that is all there is to it. One of the theories put forward was that werewolves can't just mate with any human as the supernatural magnetism can be too much. We need a human mate that is capable of withstanding such frequencies and what better mate to have than one who outright rejects you.' He smiled, sincerely.