Our Last Night - Chapter One ~Alexander~

Chapter One

Alexander

            I was a huge punk in high school. I was a slacker and a smart ass with a solid B minus average so I could stay on the football team and a stoner musician on the weekends. Singer-songwriter for my band Black Horizon, I had big dreams of making it to Hollywood. Originally, the band had been called Black Magic, but with a slip of the tongue by my favorite neighbor, we’d collectively changed our name to Black Horizon. As for being a stoner, I did drugs occasionally but mostly smoked and only partied a few times a month.

            In fact, it was my occasional partying that convinced me to re-compose our demo CD one Saturday night in the month of August, the Saturday before the first day of my senior year in high school.

“Heart breaker,

Risk taker,

Trouble maker.

It’s all been said before,

When she’s screaming at me as I walk out the door.

She yells her daddy’s gonna find me,

And I just laugh and shut the door behind me.

Roaring with laughter I meet up with the guys,

And we sit downing beers laughing at how quickly time flies.

These are the times of our lives,

We are young and the party never dies.

Hanging out by the lake drinking until four,

We pass out-get back up- and do it some more.

These are the times of our lives,

We are young and the party never dies.

So kick it up-drink it up,

Hey, dude, where’s my cup!?”

            Mac shook her head and laughed, reaching for the bowls of M&M’s on the glass coffee table. As always, the twinkle of bells in her laugh filled the room and squeezed my heart. “One of these days you are going to really piss off the wrong girl Alex. It will end badly. Very badly.” She informed me, snagging a hand full of the chocolate candies.

            I laughed and turned the volume down on my MacBook, before elbowing her in the side. We were lounging in the basement of my parent’s house with a bowl of M&M’s and the house to ourselves. Mac was wearing a pair of black yoga pants (I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re called) and a light blue tank top that accented her eyes, with her dark hair tied back in a messy bun. She wasn’t wearing any make up….but she looked absolutely breath taking. I was having a hard time not staring at her elfin face and her small body, and it was driving me nuts, and making me very uncomfortable.

            I was uncomfortable because every little glance I threw at Mac only confirmed Tom’s sardonic musings. And…it could have been the simple fact that she was so close…or the fact that I had snuck two beers already…but I was having some not so appropriate thoughts about her.  I was half a second from just splitting in two, and forced myself away from her.

            “Maybe,” I laughed and snatched a whole handful of the chocolate candies. “But I truly doubt that they’d do anything about it. I mean, considering the fact that all the girls I date are older versions of you….” I trailed off with a timid smirk.