7: Hero's Role In Our Date

"You realize that Hana doesn't need to ask your permission on who or when she wants to date, right?" Hero asked Arnold.

"Right." Arnold agreed. "Your sister is old enough to decide on whatever she wants to do with her life. Yet, you still keep on checking up on her from time to time."

"Do you have anything against that? She is my sister. I'm sure you're also protective of your own siblings."

"I'm sure my way of handling my siblings is different from how you treat Hana."

"I only want the best for my sister."

"You see, Hero. This is what makes us different. I know that my siblings are matured enough to decide on what to do with their lives. I trust them to make decisions on their own and if ever they fail or make decisions that they will regret, I'm sure they'll learn lessons from it just like any adults do."

"You could be the best brother in the world, Arnold. But Hana still wouldn't date you. She wouldn't dare to be in a relationship with you for so many reasons. She said that you are nice, but it doesn't mean that you're not a user."

"I'm not using your sister."

"Sure. You've gotten away with renting the same house. I'll give that credit to you. Your plot to date because your mom likes her, if we must admit, that's a big momma's boy move. She almost agreed with it, if only you weren't in a relationship. You see, Arnold, you almost had her. If it weren't for how you treated your most recent relationship, she wouldn't be with Timmy right now."

***

Timmy opened the door for me and was quite a gentleman the entire car ride.

"You look beautiful." He said.

"Thanks." I replied shortly.  

"I'm glad that you decided to join me tonight."

"To be honest, I just don't want you and Arnold to make a scene outside our house."

"I know."

"No. That's not what I meant."

"It's alright. You can be honest with me."

I tried to keep quiet and just go along with his plan but I couldn't stop myself. The Metro Manila traffic gave me the courage to say the things that I guess, I should've kept to myself.

"I'm sorry, Timmy." I blurted.  

"For what?"

"For dragging you into this."

"You didn't drag me anywhere. I have been meaning to reach out to you..."

"Don't. I know Hero forced you to do this."

"He just wants to look after his little sister."

"I know. But, you don't have to do this."

"Since we're being honest here, let me come clean." He looked at me in the eyes as he confessed, "I reached out to Hero as soon as I learned that your relationship with Brenth was over."