Chapter One

Thanks for the inspiration to write this! 

Okay, so sorry for the delay. I'm real proud of this story!

Vote. Comment. Fan.

One

                “So, where’s your journey taking you this time?” my sister, Eliza, questioned down the phone after I told her I’d be delaying my trip home, though I gave her a different reason. “You know we want you home, it’s been three years.”

                “Two and a half,” I replied with a sigh. I lay back on the motel bed and stared at the ceiling; being stuck in the middle of nowhere was not my intention, in fact, I’d imagined myself being back in my home town around three months ago, but things went wrong. For starters, running out of money, “I’m not that far away, sis, I’m just doing America and then I’ll be home, I promise.”

                “You said you’d just be doing Japan and then you’d be home, then Alaska and Canada,” she groaned, “mom hates you not being here.”

                My mom was the second reason for the delay of my trip home; she and dad had a divorce and I didn’t want to go back because I’d heard, from a friend, that she’d gone a bit loopy and kind of a bitch. I could imagine, I mean, she was verging on one when I left. I remember the ‘if your father and I split up, it’s your fault’ argument and I didn’t care. If they split up because of me, then that was saying something, right?

                “I’ve heard all about mom,” I replied to her. My sister is younger than me and is only in her last year of high school, I knew she wanted to get away from mom as much as I would if I had to put up with her, so, instead of planning to leave; she wanted me there to make everything better. Unfortunately for her, it wasn’t going to make anything better even if I was there.

                “Come on, Coral,” she fake-cried, “save me.”

                “I’m coming home, hun,” I informed him, “just put up with it a bit longer, okay?”

                “Okay, fine,” I knew she was pouting; my sister wouldn’t ever change. My sister and I look a lot like each other, except she was born a brunette, like our dad, and I was a blonde, like our mom, but we had completely different personalities. In high school, I was always that girl who escaped from everything and wanted to just move on, whereas Eliza was a lot more down-to-earth, doing her work to the full extent and trying as hard as possible to get into college, which was going to be her escape from family life. I just didn’t want to live in that town with my mom and the same people I’d grown up with because nothing would’ve changed.

                “I’ll see you soon, Eliza,” I told her.

                “Hurry up, Coral, I miss you!” were here last words before she hung up. Eliza has a fetish about saying ‘goodbye’ to people because she thinks it means she won’t see them again, so she will just hang up at the end of the phone call after some statement or other. She’s weird like that, but she’s a cool sister to have. I sighed and turned my phone off before placing it on the bedside table. I was stuck in a motel in the middle of nowhere after the bus driver had dropped me off, saying that it where my money would run out. Unfortunately for me, that was the last bit of money I actually had, if I didn’t include my back-up in the bank. However, there were no banks around to take money out and I could only pay on my card for the motel. I couldn’t ask for cash back!