Chapter One - Surprise.

“The lack of money is the root of all evil.”

Lennon. 

It wasn’t the look of love I received, it was the opposite. My lungs held in the air without me even noticing. Time didn’t stand still, the seconds still passed by, the hands on the clock ticking throughout the house bouncing off the walls, it made the whole scenario even more spine tingling. I felt like someone had pressed slow motion on my life at that very moment in time. He didn’t spare a second glance at me, his own flesh and blood. 

A blood-curdling scream left my lips as the broad shouldered, aged man stormed through the small distance in the foyer and clamped his hands around Harry’s neck without a moment to spare. Punches were thrown left, right and centre as almost everyone in the room jumped on top of the pair, trying to pry his hands away. 

Harry’s chokes sounded louder than the rest of the commotion, but Axel was taller, stronger and more determined than the rest. His grip didn’t falter until Paul pulled his handgun from his back pocket. I tried to intervene and help Harry but I was pushed away from the brawl by Zayn, he gave me a warning look before turning back to help himself. 

“Alright Paul? Nice house you got here.” His normal sounding statement was anything but ordinary it was sinister and had a very evil underlying tone. He took his time to look up and around to admire the house at a glance. He didn’t look at me, he had already brushed me under the rug. 

“Let.him.go.” Paul sneered through his gritted teeth as he stepped so close to Axel the gun was pressed against his temple on one side of his head. “Or I’ll-“

“Or you’ll what? Shoot?” He laughed a hollow chuckle. “Because that worked so well last time.”

“How the fuck are you alive?”

“You can’t trust anyone, especially the people you give your dirty work too.”

“Sykes.” Paul confirmed. “He said he dumped you in the Thames.”

“He was always my favourite, always did everything I wanted. Everything.

“I shot you. How are you not dead?” Paul’s voice began to rise in decibels, his patience wearing thin. Harry was still choking in the background of the reunion. His grip on his neck wasn’t loosening at all, even has Harry tried to pry his fingers off his skin.

“One millimetre to the left and I would be rotting in the ground now, but I wasn’t suppose to die. The city is still mine.”

“No it’s not, and it never will be.”

“In you-“

“Right Lennon, the city is ours isn’t it? We could kill everyone in this room in a matter of minutes.” 

Every single set of eyes in the room focused on me. My own widened at his delirious and evil words. I shuddered in my boots, my stomach felt like it flipped upside down making me feel very nauseous. For the first I made eye contact with the man who was my own flesh and blood, and I had never felt more scared in my life. My heart was pounding on my chest as I gulped down the sick feeling. I shook my head at him, watching him raise his eyebrows looking almost satisfied with my answer. 

“No, you’re a vile creature who deserves to be turned into ashes.”

“Maybe having a daughter won’t be so bad.”

“I am not your daughter.” I seethed as I stepped closer to him, his towering presence suddenly felt overwhelming.

“Your birth certificate would say otherwise.”