Attic Surprise

Over the next few days, Alex’s words followed me cropping up at the most inconvenient of times, like at the dinner table or while I was working. It seemed that no matter whichtactics I used to console myself, I still felt terrible for Cole.

There was no way we would work out anyway, I tried to give myself some form of comfort.

You’re still hoping that it will, that you can make it work. My heart responded.

I wasn’t really sure when I started to develop feelings for Cole Hays, but I had and that was something I’d deny until the day I died. My life wasn’t going to consist of the up-and-down roller coaster of Cole. I was going to Harvard in the Fall, I was different. We were different.

Sitting on the porch, I popped a few Skittles in my mouth as I watched the lake ripple in the light breeze. My shift didn’t start until 2 because Jeff had decided he needed the morning to himself. A giggle escaped my lips at just what that would involve.

“Ready to go?” I gasped, nearly choking on the piece of candy in my mouth as Alex popped up out of nowhere.

“Al, you scared the crap out of me!” I coughed a little, making sure nothing was lodged in my throat.

“My apologies.” Her tone, along with the smirk on her face implied she really wasn’t sorry at all. I rolled my eyes a little at my best friend’s antics and stood, grabbing my purse off the chair next to me and following her to the car that had finally been fixed.

During the ride to work, Alex chattered non-stop about a guy that had come into the shop while she was working. They’d flirted and apparently Alex had a coffee date after work that night.

“That’s great honey.” I smiled a we pulled up to the diner. All the lights were off and nobody was moving around inside. Jeff had obviously had too much fun with whatever he was doing and hadn’t arrived yet. Checking my watch, I realized I was at least half an hour late.

“That’s weird.” Alex pushed her sunglasses up onto her head as she squinted up at the diner, leaning over me for a better look.

I pushed open my door, climbing out from under my best friend and walking up to the door. A note taped to the times of operation read: Closed for today, sorry for any inconvenience.

With an eyeroll, I turned back to the car. “It’s closed.”

Alex muttered something under her breath, no doubt about Jeff and his general trustworthiness. “You can take the car back home if you want.” She offered, glancing at the clock on the dash. “I’ve got to get going though, and Talen can drive me home after our date so I don’t need the car.”

“Sure,” I smiled. “Thanks Al. Have fun on your date, and don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.” I winked at her as she climbed out, grabbing her purse from the backseat.

“Well that sounds like a dull evening.” She teased, smacking me in the back of the head as she moved around to the sidewalk.

“Talk to my brother today, please.” She said, suddenly serious. “You’ve been avoiding him.”

“Have not.” I mumbled, wrapping my arms around myself as she gave me a look and turned in the direction of the bookstore.

When I got back to the house, Mrs. Hays cornered me immediately, hands on her hips eyebrow raised. “Why are you home, hm?” Her tone was serious, but the smirk on her lips gave away her teasing.

“The diner was closed for the day.” I replied, pulling my hair from the ponytail it was in. “I’m going to go change out of my uniform though.”