Chapter 6: The Vanishing Cabinet

Penny Potters POV

-“There’s not a goddammded thing I can do about it. Nothing you can do about it either.” He told me.

“Draco…I…You…But…” I stuttered. I felt a whole bunch of feelings flooded back.

I stuttered for words, I ran my fingers through my black hair. I was so over whelmed. I thought he had only liked me, because Umbridge asked him to find out if I was in on something. But, I knew when he was lying, and when he was telling the truth. There was no question in his eyes. He meant it.

He leaned over and kissed my temple. I was staring off in to oblivion. I’d loved him since I’d met him, and now I knew he loved me back. I didn’t know what to do. He betrayed my trust, I took that seriously. But, if he cared enough to tell me, I should give him one more chance.

“You deserved to know,” I whipped my head around, I though he had left.

I walked over to him and I said “Draco Malfoy, didn’t know you had a heart,” he scowled. I reached up on my tip-toes and I kissed him lightly on the lips. It wasn’t a long kiss like we have had in the past, but I hope he got the picture. I smiled at him as I walked back out to the busy hall.

“Penny, I-uh-got you something,” He called after me. I spun around and walked back.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I know you might not want to where it, but-here.” He reached into his pocket, and pulled out a necklace. It had a delicate white-gold chain, and a small pendent. It was a small white-gold snake that was coiled around a gem the size of my thumb nail, it was a milky gray. “I get it if you don’t want to where it, it does have a snake and everything and I know how you Gryffendors are about-” I cut of his babbling.

“Draco, it’s beautiful. Thank you,” I turned around so he could fasten it around my neck.

The stone changed from a gray to a light pink.

“Why does this change color?” I looked up at Draco, his eyes where a perfect silver color.

“It changed with your mood. And right know, your in love.” He grinned, and leaned down for a kiss. I put one finger up to his lips.

“Nope,”I started to walk away. “Don’t be greedy!” I called over my shoulder.

I caught up with my brother, Hermione and Ron. They where talking about some thing at Borgin and Burkes, down in Knockturn Alley.

“He’s really one of them, isn’t he?” Hermione said as I was walking up to them.

“Who’s a what?” I asked them all.

“Malfoy’s a Death Eater,” Harry told me. I felt like I had been slapped.

“Are-Are you sure?” I managed to squeak out.

“Well he was at Borgin and Burkes with the rest of them, they where looking at some sort of cabinet,” he explained.

“Oh,” I looked at the floor. “Excuse me.” I ran up to GryffindorTower. I leaned up against the wall and covered my face with my hands.

I should have thought about this before I let myself like him. His father was a Death Eater, all his friends Fathers where Death Eaters, why wouldn’t he be one?

I slid down and sat on the floor. I skipped the feast, and sorting. I sat on the floor thinking about what I could do. I looked up when I herd a voice out side the portrait hole. Hermione was reading to herself, she walked through the portrait hole, but stopped when she saw me.

“Penny? Penny what’s wrong?” she closed her book and looked down at me.

“Hermione, my life is a mess!” I broke down and sobbed.

“What’s wrong?” she demanded.

“Well I-“ I was cut of by Harry and Ron walking through the portrait hole.

“Penny? What’s wrong?” Harry asked.

I cried harder, ran to the girl’s tower and slammed the door behind me.

I sobbed into my pillow. My life was to damn complicate.

********

Draco Malfoy POV

I walked to the feast. I noticed that Penny wasn’t in her usual seat next to her brother and the Wesley. I shrugged it off.

“Did it hurt?” Crebbe asked me.

“Not really,” I lied. I knew what he was talking about. Over the summer, when the Dark Lord gave me my assignment, I was given the mark on my inner left forearm. Actually it hurt like hell, but I wasn’t going to let them know that.

“What’s your assignment?” Goyle asked me.

I just looked at him. “Do you think I’d really tell you?” I asked him, it was such a ludicrous thought.

“Well I thought-“ I cut him off, I was laughing.

“Good one Crebbe, you, thinking!” I told him, Goyle wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Then everyone laughed, Goyle included.

After the feast was done, I went back to the common room, remembering what my aunt told me about the cabinet that was in the room of requirement here at school.

After everyone went to bed, I went to where the room supposedly was. I thought ‘I want to go to the room where the Vanishing Cabinet is.’ Over and over, until a door appeared.

I walked through, and found it towards the back. I opened it, and grabbed a random book and threw it in. I shut the doors, and said the complicated spell Aunt Bella told me.

I opened the doors again, the book was gone. I shut the doors again, and recited the complicated spell again. When I opened the door this time, I saw a pile of ashes, only the title of the book was unharmed.

I didn’t know whether to smile, or cringe. I just brushed the ashes out with my foot and slammed the door shut.

I leaned on the doors. I rolled up my left sleeve. I looked at the skull and snake permanently imprinted on my arm. Again, I didn’t know whether to smile, or cringe.

I knew what would happen if I failed. I would die, my mother would die, my father would die, and Merlin knows who else would. But it wouldn’t matter then, because I would be dead. I thought morbidly. I walked out of the room, and went right to bed.