Chapter 1-The News

Chapter 1-The News

Clint's POV

I was in my bedroom when the phone rang. I quickly moved into the kitchen to answer it. I looked at the caller id and saw that it was SHIELD. Great I love these phone calls.

"Agent Barton." I answered.

"Agent Barton, It's Fury. I need you to come in. I'll be at the New York base. " Fury said.

"Yes sir. I'll be there soon." I said hanging up. Wonder what's so important? It must be life threatening because he called me in on my day off. I went back into my room and exchanged my pajamas for real clothes. I put on jeans, a purple t-shirt, a grey hoodie, my black combat boots and my SHIELD jacket. I grabbed my keys, phone, and sunglasses off the nightstand. I quickly walked out of my apartment and into the hallway. I locked my door and ran down the stairs. I stepped outside to the street and unlocked my car. The sleek black car didn't look odd in this part town. Being an agent did have it's perks. I sat down in the drivers seat and started the car up. I quickly drove to the SHIELD base. If I was late Fury would have my head. I arrived at the boring looking skyscraper. You could never tell this was a top secret organization. I parked my car and took the keys out of the ignition. I got out and locked the car. I walked inside and Fury was standing there waiting for me.

"Well this must be important." I mumbled.

"Barton. " Fury said. "Follow me." He said quickly. He walked to an elevator. I followed him inside and he hit a button to go up. The ride up was quiet and awkward. The doors opened and we walked out. I followed him to his office. He sat down in his chair and I sat in front of him. I felt like a little kid who got sent to the principal's office.

"I know that this is your day off but we have news on Natasha." Fury said. I perked up as I heard her name. I haven't seen her in forever. It's like she disappeared.

"Did you find her?" I asked with hope in my voice. Fury was quiet.

"She was investigating something for us." Fury said after a while. "It was dangerous but she kept persisting she could handle it. She went in without backup." Fury pulled out pictures and laid them across the desk. They were pictures off a burned ruins of a building. "She never made it out." Fury said. I was in shock. She was gone. Natasha was dead. It seems impossible but I guess it was the truth.

"She's dead? But we've made it out of things worse than this." I said hoping this was a sick dream.

"I'm sorry Clint. She is gone. But she did leave something behind." Fury said getting up.

"What is it?" I asked.

"More like who is it." Fury said. I got up quickly and stared at Fury. He walked out of his office and I followed. We walked down the hall a bit to a small debriefing room. A female agent was standing outside. She looked like she was waiting for us.

"Agent Meeker." Fury said. The female turned to us.

"Director Fury. She's still silent." The agent said.

"I'll head in. Barton stay here and come in when I tell you to." Fury said walking in the room.

"Agent Cindy Meeker." The agent said. She was about my age. Her wavy chestnut brown hair was pulled into a ponytail and her grey-blue eyes starred at me. Freckles ran underneath her eyes. She held her hand out for a handshake.

"Agent Clint Barton." I said shaking her hand.

"It's an honor to meet you sir." Cindy said.

"Really to meet me?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.