Prologue: Wrath of the Dark Lord

The Legend of Zelda: Real Courage

Prologue: Wrath of the Dark Lord

"Lila, what a silly, girlish name," a cloaked man remarked as he stared into the looking glass. It showed a hazy scene from another room, one far across the continent. The picture was focused on a young couple standing over a cradle. A baby, barely a week old, lay among cheap rags, whatever the couple could find. All three had sandy-blonde hair and delicately pointed ears.

The cloaked man turned from his spying tool, heavy fabrics swaying in the dark air. "That will change once the hero is mine," he said.

A cowering servant bowed at his feet. "Yes, of course, sir."

"You're sure this is the one?" he asked, rounding on his servant.

The servant bowed more frantically. "Yes, Lord. There is no doubt. The king and queen's child confirmed it. They were born on the same day—"

"The same hour, down to the very minute?"

"No one knows for sure—"

"Find out! I don't want to waste my time on the wrong hero." He walked away to stare into the mirror again. "It's sickening. After all these years, with this new plan, I have to wait on a child. Look at them fawn over it, oblivious to their impending doom."

"Yes, sir, oblivious."

"Why are you still standing there?" the man shouted. "Confirm the minute of birth!"

"Y-yes, sir," the servant said, and then scurried away.

The man cleared the looking-glass and surveyed the dark room. The glass sat on a dais in the middle of a black void. The walls, ceiling, and floor were made of obsidian, which created ripples as the candles reflected off of it. There were only two doors, one leading to the hall and one leading to a balcony. The man swept to the balcony, moving the black silk curtains out of the way. As he looked over his dark tower and the plantless desert beyond it, he straightened proudly.

"It's time," he murmured to himself. "Soon, this world will remember the fear that I, Ganondorf, bring." A rumble formed in his stomach, rolling up until he threw his head back and laughed. The servants throughout his castle shivered at the sound.

□[Ding!] What name does Ganondorf give you?

「¤_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _」

「¤L i l a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _」

□[Ding!] Is your name

Lila?

「¤ Yes

¤ No」

「҉Yes

¤ No」

"This child is female!" Lord Ganondorf raged, pushing his servant to the ground. "You dare tell me this is the Chosen Hero?"

The servant gathered himself into a sitting position, careful to make sure the baby was safe. "But... but... this is the child born that night, at the same time, down to the minute, as the prince—"

"Prince? Prince? What about Zelda? What about the blasted Link?"

"This is the child of the legend, I'm sure of it," the servant said. "There's no doubt that this girl and Prince Zale are destined to inherit the Triforces of Courage and Wisdom."

"A girl hero? A prince?" Ganondorf's face was contorted with incredulity. "How is such a farce possible?"

"I don't know, sir," the servant said slowly. "However, I'm sure your plan will still work. Raise this girl as your weapon. There is no doubt she will succeed with the proper training."

"Know this: you will be responsible for this... this girl. If she fails, it will be you who suffers the consequences."

The servant gulped. "Of course, sir. It will be as you wish."

Mori nudged Lila, prodding her awake. She pushed him away, but he tapped her again. Mori heard Ganondorf's heavy footsteps and panicked, flying into the closet.

"Wake up, lazy girl!" Lord Ganondorf yelled as he slammed the door open. Before Lila could react, he had his hand around her throat. She struggled, but it did no good. After a few dizzying seconds, he threw her to the ground, where she curled into a humble position at his feet.

"I-I'm sorry, master." She coughed and rubbed her neck. "I-it will never h-happen again."

He kicked her ribs, knocking her over. "Be in the arena in five minutes." Then he turned and left just as briskly as he had entered.

A/N: Thanks for checking out my book! What do you expect from the book after reading this opening?