Chapter 3: Welcome Home

Seamus sat solemnly in his library, flipping through the pages of his book. It floated a few inches away from his face, a purple haze surrounding the edges. He smirked to himself, never thinking he could perfect this ability, but now used it more than any others.

The walls around him were lined with shelves and books of all sorts. Some were disheveled and scattered about the floor, but he didn't care. All he wanted to do was keep advancing, and could care about the mess later. And it wasn't the biggest room in the castle, which made it look even messier.

On the other end of the room was a small table with beakers and strange liquids. Nobody knew what Seamus was up to with those things, and he wouldn't dare share his secrets. But nobody really knew much about him in the first place, except for Jordan.

Seamus sighed loudly in disappointment and dropped the book onto the pile. Nothing new, as usual.

He was never going to keep up his role as Jordan's right hand man like this; James would take his place soon enough. And Seamus just had to keep trying his best.

And Jordan... Oh poor Jordan, he thought. He's just so ignorant. The kingdom might as well just go under the rule of any other ordinary man at this point. As many times as Seamus had tried to warn Jordan of what he saw coming in the future, he just didn't listen.

"Seamus?" A voice hollered from the other side of the door, a loud knock accompanying it.

Speak of the devil.

Seamus directed his hand out towards the door, balling his hand up into a fist and twisting. A purple haze floated around the doorknob and pulled it open, revealing the king, standing there twiddling his thumbs.

"Yes?" Seamus replied, moving some of his books to the side.

"Look, I... I'm sorry-"

"No. I am." Seamus sighed and got to his feet, draping his cape back over him. "You're my king. I should respect your decisions, and follow you with what you think is right."

"...But, as you said before, I did make foolish mistakes. That's another reason why you're here; to make sure I don't mess up." Jordan looked to the floor and swallowed anxiously. "And... I do make quite a few of those."

Seamus smiled, walking forward and clapping his hand against Jordan's shoulder. Jordan seemed delighted, yet oddly cautious of this gesture. Seamus rarely ever smiled. Was this a good thing, or something he needed to worry about?

"Then, I will, no matter how unwise I see it, support your decision at the ceremony."

"So you still believe knighting James is a mistake?"

"I do."

"But you will not get in my way?"

"Not unless the decision brings a threat to you or this kingdom."

"Now tell me, why would he be a threat?"

"You're giving a man you barely know so much power-"

"I did the same to you!" Jordan retorted, breaking their argument which had begun to turn less than friendly. His cheeks felt heat up as he noticed Seamus' plain expression twinge with a hint of sadness at the words. "Look, I, just..."

"This is no doubt a stressful time for you. I know what may slip from your mouth is unmeant, and forgiven." Solid looks of acknowledgement were exchanged, and Jordan swiftly turned to depart.

"But." Seamus started. "If any harm comes, like I said, I will not hesitate to kill that bastard."

"Oh, Seamus." Jordan chuckled silently, amused by his anger. "Your jealousy always gets the best of you."