Chapter 15- The Talk

When we pulled into the school parking lot the next morning, I almost expected everyone to be whispering and pointing at us, sure that Jerry had spilled the beans and that Conner was going to have to spill his guts.

But the sun was shining, and everyone was acting perfectly normal. Girls giggling at Conner, Boys calling out to Conner from across the lot, Travis no where in sight.

I guess Jerry had a brain after all.

As we walked to the school, Lilly and Alex were waiting outside for me. When Conner turned his back to 'manshake' one of his team mates, Lilly winked at me and Alex wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

I rolled my eyes at them. "Real subtle guys." I whispered before Conner turned back around to walk me to my locker.

As we neared my locker, Conner jerked to a stop. Jerry was leaning back against my locker with his arms crossed, wearing a black shirt and dark jeans and giving off the bad boy vibe perfectly.

"What." I glared at him. Alex and Lilly looked back and forth between us like they were watching a vicious tennis match.

Jerry shrugged, letting his eyes run over me leisurely. Conner stiffened beside me, clamping his hand tightly around my wrist. "Hi there. So Selena, you wanna go out with me sometime? Some place dark and secluded perhaps?" His voice was light, as if he were teasing us.

"No thanks." I snorted. I noticed that we had attracted a small crowd of people that were starting to gather around us, watching us intently. Tom, who was standing near Lilly, gave me thumbs up and a grin. I guess even his brother seemed to dislike him.

"Why not?" He raised an eyebrow teasingly. "You got a secret boyfriend or something?"

I glanced at Lilly and Alex, who were looking rather perplexed. "Nah, you're just not my type."

"What is your type?" He smirked, pushing off my locker to stand in front of me. "Hot soccer star boys?"

Conner's grip on my wrist tightened. I swallowed, trying to find a way to overcome my bad liar tendencies. "Nope. I just prefer guys with a #@&%."

Everyone watching burst out laughing as Jerry's face turned five shades of red. Lilly snickered behind her hand, trying to hide her laughter. Alex wasn't even trying to hide her laughter, doubling over while she held her gut.

Tom chuckled, walking forward to grab his very embarrassed twin brother's arm and pull him away.

As they passed me, Jerry turned his head to whisper something in Conner's ear that I couldn't quite hear. But whatever it was, it couldn't have been good, because Conner immediately stopped laughing and took off down the hall in the opposite direction, not once looking back at me.

Lilly gave me a questioning look as she noticed him leaving. And for once, I had absolutely no idea what could bother my best friend so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By lunch, Conner was perfectly normal again, acting like nothing had happened. When I had asked him about what Jerry had said, he just shrugged and said something about his shoe being untied.

Liar.

I knew he was lying, but I let it slide since he was starting to look slightly uncomfortable. I would try asking him again later.

Mrs.Concon walked by us in her tightly fitted skirt and shredded top, and I had to admit, she had some serious talent to have been able to walk in such murderous looking heels. She gave Conner a wink, which kind of looked more like a spastic eye twitch.