Chapter 1

Leela took the usual route as everyday towards the edge of the village which over saw Rann of Kutch. She sat on a rock cliff and took in the beautiful sight in front of her. The salt marsh of desert appeared to be running dead straight to the horizon. The full moon in the dark blue sky on the top of white sand gave the whole place a mystical aura.

It was the western most state of India; Kutch, on one side had Arabian area and other side desert. The night was hot and humid, but pleasant cool breeze was blowing.

Sound of folk music was floating with the wind from the group of nomads from nearby. They had gathered around the fire to keep themselves warm at night and were singing the tales of Jada, a Rajput ruler who had found Kutch.

After spending some peaceful time there Leela signed and started towards her house through the narrow paths of the village. The village was fairly quiet at that late hour.

Leela’s village was one of the flourishing village’s with booming textile, farming and cattle industry. The roads and houses were pretty decent.

As she neared her house she smiled at the magnificent structure in front of her.

It was a huge house with nearly 15 members of her joint family residing there. The house had wooden pillars supported around the house and the main door had beautiful craving on the wood. The house itself was 100 years old, but recently some modern amenities were added retaining the old era exteriors.

Her father Durga Kathiawar was the head of the village. Her family had been in that village from generations and owned most of the agricultural land surrounding the village. Their family had established business in other areas like textile and dairy industry.

This village was also hub of illegal activities like weaponry and drug smuggling as it was close to Kandla Port. Many claimed that Leela’s father Durga Kathiawar and his sons were heading these activities in the region but none have been proven by local police yet. There fortune had grown during her father’s time but had taken quantum leap during her three brother’s regime.

Leela skipped up to the landing to the door in two’s step and pushed open the enormous teak doors. The house was filled with chatter’s and laughter’s of ladies and children.

Her three brothers Arjun, Pratap and Rana were playing cards. Rana the youngest was not yet married. Her two sister– in –law's Urvashi and Charu were chatting with her mother Saraswati. Three little kids Aditya, Navya and Vishnu were playing.

The servants were serving lassi and paan. The house was filled with warmth and joy.  Leela felt totally content seeing her family.

As Leela entered the house her brother’s looked at her and gave her a knowing smile. Then they all turned and looked towards their mother to see her reaction.

Her mom saw Leela and gave her a disapproving shake of head. Saraswati Devi was a very proud woman and had great pride in her children. She was proud of the fact that her kids were very good looking.

She looked at her daughter lovingly, Leela was 20yrs old tall at 5 10’ with very slim frame with curves in the right places like a fashion model. She had a dusky complexion with golden glow. She had long black hair which framed her beautiful face. Her eyes where light chocolate brown with thick black lashes, but the most attractive feature was her dimpled cheeks, pearl lined teeth and tempting full lips.

Leela was dressed in traditional green chaniyo with glass pieces and sea shells work, red choli and a chunri. Added to it were simply dangling’s, a dozen of bangles, a small bindi on her forehead. She looked stunning. When she smiled it lit up the whole place.