Chapter Eight: Half Truth

Examining myself in the mirror, I tossed myself a nod of approval before I gathered my belongings that were laid out on the bed.

Somehow, the idea of spending a day with Adam got me all giddy that I couldn’t even fall asleep last night. Behind this thick amount of concealer is a pair of ugly dark circles that can make me look like a raccoon.

Thank for the gift of makeup.

“Adam,” I grinned, skipping my way down the stairs. I’m acting more like a little schoolgirl more than anything.

He popped his head from the dining room before presenting me a smile of his own. This is one thing that I wouldn’t mind seeing early in the morning.

“I’m starving,” he complained, “What took you so long?”

I rolled my eyes playfully before I went into the kitchen with him following my steps, “I’m a girl,” I defended oh-so-stereotypically, “If you were so hungry then why didn’t you made your own breakfast.”

He looked down shamefully as he rubbed the back of his neck before eyeing the kitchen sink. This heightened my curiosity and I took a look at it before I burst out in laughter.

A frying pan was placed in there and had dark ashes in it. I presumed that he tried to cook but failed miserably in his attempt.

“What is this supposed to be?” I laughed, filling the pan with water before I allowed it to settle first.

“Bacon,” he mumbled under his breath.

I failed to see how this charcoal blocks look like bacon strips.

“I recall that you were able to cook me lasagna the other night,” I reminded him, grabbing a clean pan and whatever bacon is left from the pack, “How did this happen?”

He settled himself on the kitchen island before explaining, “I made Aunt May teach me during one of the days you were busy.”

Of course, my mom would do anything to help my best friend. She’s extremely fond of him, he’s like a son for her and she does nothing but spoil him. I could already picture my mom glowing with happiness when Adam called her up to teach him how to cook – the fact that he respected her cooking skills enough to ask her is enough to make her gleam with pride.

Pushing the plate of cooked, non-burnt, bacons to Adam, he started to devour it with as much grace as a caveman.

“So where are we going?” he asked after he downed the glass of water I handed him.

“That’s a surprise,” I grinned, grabbing his plate and glass then I placed it in the dishwasher, “Come on, we have a whole day ahead of us.”

We boarded my car and when the both of us were strapped in, I started to drive to our destination.

I knew Adam liked these kinds of places and when I heard a girl saying that it’s the best place for a date with her boyfriend, I decided that I should take Adam there.

It’s hopeful thinking, but hey, a girl can dream.

“An amusement park?” Adam beamed, looking around the place, “Where should we go first.”

I told him that he should decide what our first ride is; the only thing that I’ve planned out was our last. I eyed the ferris wheel and I knew that I would be waiting until nighttime before we’ll ride it. They said that the view up there is spectacular and has the greatest romantic atmosphere.

“Let’s go there first,” Adam said, pointing at the one thing I didn’t want to go inside of.

The haunted mansion looked gloomy, dark and all around scary. My face paled at the slightest idea of going inside of there. I’m scared of ghosts, period.