Getting home

Written 2012 by VeGirl

We had been on the road for another hour, pondering over what had happened to make them drop like that. We figured it must have been someone being daggered at home making all of the siblings to drop. I hoped Elijah was okay; his concerned call to us had felt sincere.

Suddenly Klaus gasped for air so abruptly and loud that I nearly drove us off the road. We had almost forgotten about him in the backseat.
Anna grasped her chest looking like her heart almost stopped, but turning around looking at Klaus with huge eyes.
He kept on coughing and ruckling.

"Are you okay? Do you need something to drink?" I asked him.

The expression in his face was hard to decipher as he asked if I was offering between coughs. I handed him a bottle of water.

He drank greedy and did his best to calm down. "Have we got far away from him?"

"From Kol? Yes, about an hour?" I looked at Anna who nodded at me and then kept her eyes on Klaus again.

He seemed to calm down and I did my best to focus on the driving while Anna kept her eyes on our backseat passenger.

"Hasn't anyone told you it's rude to stare?" he asked her and I giggled, relieved that we had pulled this off.

"Klaus, I remember me telling you that. This is just payback," I teased.

He frowned and remembered exactly what I was referring to; him staring at Anna. He rolled his eyes.

We sat in silence for a while and even Anna turned to face forward.

"Why did you stop me? You would have got rid of me once and for all." His voice was low and full of wonders.

I just looked at him through the mirror, not sure what I should answer. "It's not right for someone to die for someone else's mistakes," I finally said, knowing there was more to it. "Damon would die... and all of our friends." I refocused on the driving, but every glance in the rear view mirror revealed his pondering expression.

He looked like he was blown away by our actions. "And the two of you took me with you?" Now he even looked a little shocked but that trademark smirk was still visible.

"Get over yourself," I snapped. "You can stop act as my boyfriend now, the show is over."

He chortled, then he obviously thought about what had happened. "You saved my life..."

I studied him in the mirror in silence for a while. "And don't you forget it..."

He leaned back in the seat looking out the window. The rest of the ride was quiet and it was a relief when we saw the sign welcoming us to Mystic Falls.

After a little guiding from the backseat we found our way to Klaus' house where I saw Damon's car waiting outside. He was out the door the second he heard our car park outside and I was in his arms sooner than it was possible.

Anna and Klaus got off the car and met Elijah in the door.

"Was it you?" Klaus asked as he saw the hole in Elijah's shirt, referring the one who got a dagger in his heart. Elijah nodded slowly. "I was on the phone with Emma when you got to them. All I heard was Anna screaming and I knew I had to do something."

They looked at each other for a while. "Thank you," Klaus said finally and Elijah looked a little surprised at him.

He smiled at his brother. "Together as one; always and forever."

They hugged each other just as Damon, Anna and I joined them and once again I thought about all the drama they must have experienced over all these years.

We walked into the house together.

Elena was apparently the one who had daggered Elijah, but she and Stefan had left after the de-daggering an hour later.
Yeah right, it had to be done by a human! I remembered from watching the show.

We got to hear all drama that had happened over these last two days, and Anna was surprised since she didn't remember anything during the compulsion. She even got to hear a little about her ancestor, Annora, and Klaus promised to tell her more in the next few days, but he needed a drink and a shower, and so did the rest of us.

We said our thanks and I even hugged both Elijah and Klaus and so did Anna before we left.

It was such a relief to be back in the Boarding house and back in Damon's arms I hardly could believe it.

"Don't ever run away from me again like that, don't you get that you could have died!" The worry was clear in his voice but I just kissed him and promised never to do that again.

"I am so sorry I hurt you, talking about Elena like that," I mumbled.

"You were right. I suppose it's like Ric' says; I'm an ass. I just forgot about the way I felt for Elena the second I laid my eyes on you."

His confession almost made my eyes well up, could this really be happening? Could little old me get this prince? I felt like Cinderella.

"What? You look at me like I'm the jackpot; you forget I'm just the jackass..." His voice trailed off.

"Stop that; just kiss me, my prince of darkness."

His face lit up with a huge smile and he kissed me with a passion I never knew existed and I told myself I would never leave him. I would ask him to turn me and he would have to stake me if he wanted me out of his life.

.