Twenty Six

XXVI: Poker Face

AFTER COLE AND I's talk in the parlor, he insisted that we ditch the rest of the photoshoot. "Come on," he said, "Lunch, my treat."

Really I'd only agreed because there was food involved. After changing out of the stunning Zuhair Murad gown and back into my own outfit of olive straight-leg trousers and a metallic bronze blouse, I threw my pea coat on and tied a soft plaid scarf around my neck. My three-inch black Italian leather shoes tapped against the hardwood floors as I stepped out of the room I'd been allowed to use as a dressing room. Just as I was nearing the foyer, a hand reached out to take my elbow, startling me.

"Elle, I've been looking all over for you." I tensed when the figure spun me around to face him. His chocolate eyes registered my discomfort and instinctively let go.

"Was there something you needed?" I asked in a defeated voice. I wasn't even angry at him anymore. I just wanted to fix things for him and leave town. I don't think I can stand there beside Simone as they pledge their love. I'm much to selfish.

Max hesitated, no doubt questioning his motives for approaching me. He'd made it clear just last night that he'd moved on. I didn't need a refresher. "I just...I wanted to talk to you."

"Sure," I said with a clenched jaw. "What's up?"

He looked around the open foyer and frowned when the distant sound of chatter pierced the air. "Maybe somewhere more private?"

"No I think this is just fine." I can't let myself be in close quarters with him. God knows what unpredictable things I'm capable of if I don't have the risk of someone seeing as a warning.

He sighed, "Fine. About last night..."

"Max," I interrupted in a curt tone, " It's...fine. I'm fine. Everything's fine. I'm sorry for my actions, I wasn't quite myself. But thank you for setting me back in my place. Now if you'll excuse me--"

"What the hell, Elle?" he demanded as he backed me up in the wall with a dark look. "You can't just pretend it didn't happen. Don't you think I know what you're doing? Whenever you'd get hurt you shut down and push people away. Looks like as much as everythings changed at least you haven't outgrown that."

"I'm not doing anything! You were very clear last night, I'm simply honoring your wishes. I'll stay out of the way and after the wedding I'll be gone for good. You'll never see me again, don't worry."

I watched him wince at my words and an unreadable expression cross his face. "What if I don't want that? Fuck Elle, I don't want to loose you again."

He stepped closer but I shoved him away. "No! You don't get to say that to me."

"Hear me out," he said taking hold of my forearms. I gave up and stopped fighting his touch away.

"At one point, we were the best of friends. Weren't we?" I gave a weak nod. "I don't know what it is about you that makes the thought of never seeing you again so painful. Please Elle, can't we just stop this and go back to how we were when we first met? When we were just friends and everything made sense?"

I opened my mouth, not sure if to shout at him or agree, but the sounds of footsteps caused Max to let go of me and step back.

"There you are," Cole said as he came to a stop beside me and then, much to my surprise, wrap an arm around my waist. His free hand clutched my own and gave it a comforting squeeze, his silent way of saying he had my back. "Ready to go?"

My gaze never left Max's, and as I nodded at Cole I watched as his eyes, as rich as thick caramel, hardened. "Yeah, sure."

"I'll see you around," I said over my shoulder as Cole and I walked away. Then with a forced smile I added, "best friend."