Puppy Luv: Chapter 20

Evelyn

            "Can you believe the summer's over?" Seth asked me from my bed as I stuffed my clothes in my suitcase.

            "No, I can't." I answered quietly. "I'll really miss this place. But… but maybe I'll come back next year."

            "I hope you do."

            "Me too."

            Isn't it funny how we wait and wait for Summer Vacation to start, and when it finally does it goes by way too fast? I don't think it's very funny. But that was what it was like, ever since that vampire left. No, they never found him, but Alice saw him heading north, so we all had a feeling he wouldn't be back for awhile. And if he did, we'd be ready.

            Some of you might think I'd be scared, but not really. Either I was having a sleepover at the Cullens' house with Nessie, or Seth would be lounging on my bedroom floor. My dad had no clue of course, but it was completely harmless. Seth was like my best… friend.

            Why did I say that before? When we were talking after he woke up at the Cullens' house I had meant to say something completely different. What did I mean to say? That I loved him. I had said it to myself and in my head so many times, but I had yet to say it out loud to his face. And now that I was leaving, I had a feeling it was too late.

            Renesmee's words from before rang through my head suddenly,: It's just that I made a deal with Seth that if no one got hurt in the middle of all of this, then he'd have to tell you something that's been bugging me.

            Could it possibly be that he felt the same way? Oh please, get real Evy. Friends, we were just friends. He had said that before.

            "Maybe next time I can visit California." Seth said, bringing me out of my thoughts.

            "Not sure if you'd like it there." I said, putting together my second carryon bag. "Cramped cities, overwhelming populations, and the ever bearing sun. It's nicer here. There's the forest, the beach, you-"

            I stopped short and looked down, blushing like a fool. From the corner of my eye I saw Seth smile sadly and then focus very hard on the ground. When he looked up, his eyes were determined.

            "Evy, how much of the legends from the beginning of the summer do you remember?"

            "Almost all of it. Why?"

            "Because… do you remember the story of the imprints?"

            "Yeah, that one was my favorite. Like love at first site, only different. And then I asked you who had imprinted, and you said it was just Jacob, Sam, Jared, Paul, and Quil."

            "Well…" he started, "that may not be entirely true. Someone else has…"

            "Really? Who?"

            "It's…" he sighed and swallowed, then spoke again, spoke words that changed my life forever, "me. I did… with you, Evy. Ever since I first saw you I've had this crazy feeling about you. There's this connection and I know you feel it too. But it's not just the fact that you're my imprint. I really love you Evy, with or without it."

            I froze when he said I really love you. My heart skipped a beat and butterflies flew around in my stomach. You know, I never realized how unhealthy love can be.