Monsters Come in All Forms

Sam’s POV

Things were extremely tense since Layla’s kidnapping. John seemed to snap out of his depression, Greg not so much. He is silent all of the time. I’m told that normally he’s a fun loving, hyper person. Jeb the little boy cries all of the time, begging to see his mother. Alison seems to be working the hardest it seemed.

When everyone fell into their depression she took control and called several meetings and sent out Amber Alters, making sure there was a look out for Layla anywhere. She made sure that both the human and wolf worlds knew that there was a crazy kidnapper out there and that he had taken Layla. She also took me to the police station to get an ID on the man in charge of the whole thing. I told them what I could, and someone sketched it down until it was the same face that haunts my existence.

The world seemed tense now, and no one was sure what exactly they should do. John, when he’s stable, is on the phone with a man named Francis, Josh or Vladimir. Another time I heard him freaking out and calling someone on the phone “disgusting ball of human Slime!” I wouldn’t want to be on the other end of that conversation. And sometimes he would leave the house in a huff and come back with stacks of papers and would spend hours shuffling through them.

I did research. I spent hours on the computer looking up books, searching for the words that were scrawled across the side of that book. I hadn’t found much luck, most sights were leading me around in circles, and the ones that weren’t couldn’t help me because I didn’t know what the book said. I resorted to looking up languages to try and find some matching characters.

I had a pad of paper filled with my notes, random scribbles of words and drawings across the lined paper, most not making sense.  I tried to draw the words that I saw, but they were fuzzy in my memory.

“I don’t know...” I mumbled staring at it and the computer screen. I got frustrated enough I typed in ‘random wolf killings’. And watched the screen load up with thousands of hits of environmental activists, wolf slaughters over the years and changes in populations. So basically I hadn’t found a whole lot. “How to kill a werewolf”, I typed in. Movies came up, something about Van Helsing, but something caught my eye.

It was an eBay add. Selling a book.

I opened the link and pulled up the image of a dark leather brown bound book, with strange characters on the front, that were in another language. “This is it!” I cried looking at it. John, Alison and Greg rushed into the room quickly.

“What’s going on?” John asked looking at me.

“I found the book!”

There was a long silence as they crowded around my shoulders to read the screen. I scanned through the page finding that the item had already been sold, and I’m pretty sure I know to whom. I found a description of the book near the bottom of the page. “This book is from an ancient organization, that believed that Werewolves existed. Its pages are filled with torture methods, and efficient methods to deal with dead bodies.  Though the ideas of the book are far fetched, like really Werewolves? This is a classic piece to go in anybody’s book collection. The whole book is in amazing condition, being stored in a classic bookshop for many years. Serious book collectors only please.”

“So we know where the book came from, now what do we do?” Alison asked. I scanned the computer and found the name of the book store it came from.

“We can check out this book store, though I’m not sure exactly where it is, and find out who picked the book up to sell it. That way we can find out who bought it.” They nodded.