Chapter 35

• Dedicated to My husband, Michael

James poked his head around the study door. "What are you two in here whispering about? The DFAT woman's getting nervous."

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade had sent them a babysitter. She said all the right things and swore she was telling them everything she could, but it had been hours now and she was still spouting the same carefully constructed, patronising phrases.

"We'll be right in Dad," Riley said. "You should get some sleep. It's three a.m."

"I'll sleep when you do," James said and backed out the door.

"I'll go stall her," Sean said. "You call your mate and we'll decide after that."

Riley waited for Sean to leave, then dialled Spiros's number.

"Kokinos," Spiros answered, in a voice that had clearly been woken from sleep.

"Hey, Spiros. Sorry to wake you."

"Riley? What time– what's wrong?"

"Maybe nothing– well, lots actually, but," He paused and took a breath. "Have you heard of a DFAT officer named Philippa Salucci?"

There was a silence on the other end and Riley knew he'd struck a nerve.

"Why?" Koffa asked.

"That's a yes, then?"

"It is. She's a... hand-holder. She liaises with families when there's a crisis. Why?"

"Nothing. That's what she says she's here to do."

"Where is 'here'?"

"Sean's place. Kitty and Daisy were kidnapped about fifteen hours ago."

"Oh, mate! Look. Salucci's a specialist hand-holder. She's sent in when the Department has to make a political decision the family won't like."

"Like what?" Riley asked.

"Like if a foreign official has committed assault but has diplomatic immunity or... remember those American journalists kidnapped by North Korea? The State Department would have left them there. The family and their colleagues got Clinton to go over and negotiate."

"You're saying that DFAT's already decided that they're not going to help them?"

"I'm saying that if they've sent Salucci, there's a good chance they've decided there's not much they can do to help."

Riley closed his eyes. He knew they couldn't trust her. He should have called Spiros hours ago. "Thanks Spiro. Sorry to wake you. I've gotta go."

"Riley! Wait! You there?"

He considered pretending he hadn't heard, but Spiro had helped him too many times not to trust his motives.

"I'm here," Riley said.

"It's going to depend on the situation. Media attention could do more harm than good."

He wished he'd hung up. "In what way?"

"I can't tell you without knowing more, but you and Sean should not go off half-cocked. Let me make a couple of calls and see what I can find. You know I can be discreet."

Discretion was not Riley's concern – it was one thing for him to risk his own career, or even jail, breaking the Official Secrets Act, he didn't want Spiros to risk the same.

A slow low-pitched beeping interrupted the call. Another call coming in. "I'll think about it and get back to you."

"I'm serious, Riley – you could make things worse."

"I'm not fobbing you off. I've got another call, but no going off half-cocked."

"Okay then. I'll be waiting for your call." Spiros rang off and the call connected before Riley could see who it was.

"Duncan," Riley said.

"They're safe!" Koffa's voice.

Riley shivered. "What?"

"Navy's got them. They're safe."

Riley's eyes welled and he slapped his hand over his mouth to stop a sob. "You're sure?"

"Yes. Navy's picked them up in the ocean south of Western Australia."

"Are they okay?"

"The doctor on board's checked them over. They're both pretty shaken up, but they're okay."

"I thought Navy weren't allowed to board Polzin's ship."

"They didn't. DFAT got a call from Prince Julien's foreign minister. He gave them co-ordinates to search and they found Cait and Daisy in a life raft."

"How on earth...?"

"I have no idea. I'm not sure anyone does, yet."

Riley couldn't let himself believe it. "They're definitely okay?"

"I spoke to her myself. She said to tell you that they're sleeping now, so you all should too."

Laughing through his tears, he headed out the study door. "When will they be home?"

"They'll be at the military hospital in Perth in about an hour. They'll be observed overnight and debriefed in the morning. You, me and Daisy's parents are booked on the five-thirty flight from Tullamarine this morning."

As Riley reached in the living room Sean looked up from his conversation with Salucci. "What is it?"

"They're safe," Riley said. "Navy's bringing them to Perth."

"Now?"

"Yes. They're safe." Riley said, stumbling a little as Sean threw his arms around him. "They're safe."

** As Long As She Lives is now available worldwide in print and eBook in (ePub as well as Kindle) at the usual online retailers (Amazon, eSentral, Nook etc...) If you're enjoying my work, I hope you'll consider supporting it by purchasing a copy!

Cheers!
Darcy.