chapter iii

Chapter 2

They Don’t Believe In Us

When I was finished, by face was covered in paint, my hands were a mess of smudged pencil and a variety of different colours. I must have looked a right sight, but it didn’t bother me. I painted a picture, which I was proud of. That’s what made me happy.

I glanced at Gerard’s drawing which he had been transfixed to for the whole hour. There was a sad scene; a cartoon girl stood under the pouring rain, her expression sullen, hidden under a large umbrella. It almost looked like she was waiting for someone, someone who never came. I congratulated him; he was a natural at art. I felt slightly jealous, not badly, but it was slightly depressing, the only thing I was good at. The only thing people had said I was amazing in and already I had found a person who could out do me.

He glanced over at mine, doing a double take. He obviously never thought I would be that good at what I loved doing. Pfft.

“Hope, that’s really good… captures the emotion” He smiled slightly, showing his love for my work. I beamed back, proud. I looked over my art.

I had drawn a big empty, black room with a girl in the corner looking ragged and depressed. She had rope tied around her middle and I had drawn a faint line in the distance, the rope was tied around the moon up and away in the dark, night sky. The moon reflecting an eerie glow around the room, the girl was holding up a torn note. ‘I will love you to the moon and back.

I must admit I was proud; usually art took me ages to finish, especially a piece like this. To be honest I was surprised that it had been finished in a little over an hour.

When the bell went Gerard walked out the room. I was puzzled, I was meant to be showing him around! Running after him, I managed to catch up.

“Gerard?” I hurried to keep up his face pace. His face looked really distraught.

“Where are the outside main gates?” He asked without focusing on me.

“Look… follow me” I was wondering too deep in thought to realise he had run off, towards another young boy, 14 or 15.

“Gerard… you have a friend?” I was pleased he had managed to meet someone, but how? How did he know this boy? I did not recognise him.

“Hope, err, this is my brother… Mikey” I nodded analysing him. He seemed thin and tall, he wore glasses perched on the end of his nose. He reminded me of a cute nerdy type of guy. His hair was straight at the front and he wore and jacket, with something I couldn’t make out on it. I peered closer.

“…A unicorn?” I questioned, it was a unicorn! Gerard chuckled and Mikey blushed pink hiding behind Gerard.

“Mikey like’s unicorns” Gerard teased.

“Well… err” I felt awkward, should I leave and let them talk alone… but Gerard can’t get lost.

“Don’t worry Hope… I don’t want to get lost, who is showing you around Mikes?” Gerard said, and then directed a question to Mikey. He shrugged.

“Some girl with piercings and dyed black hair” He nodded backwards to a girl about his age leaning against the stone steps.

“Alicia…” She was in the year under mine, Mikey must be 15 then. I noticed Gerard tense up. He really cares for his brother.

“Are you okay Mikey? Are they nice? How are you…?” Aw, he is so sweet!

“Gee! It’s fine… kind of” He trailed of, hoping Gerard wouldn’t hear him I guess. Gerard was suddenly in Mikey’s face.

“WHAT?” He all but growled.

“Well… they are okay, but…” He nodded in my direction. Showing he was uncomfortable saying what he wanted with me around. I nodded, understanding, and went to sit near to Alicia. I did not know here, but I had heard about her. People often teased her and insulted her of being ‘emo’. She had a pretty good taste in music which is all I really knew. The silence became unbearable, so I decided to speak.

“So… you are showing Mikey around?” She smiled.

“I thought you would never speak! Yes… I am” She smiled again, looking at the two boys, Mikey talking hurriedly and Gerard wearing a permanent frown.

“Does Mikey speak? Gerard doesn’t… much” I laughed, blushing at the thought of seeing his smile again. That smile I was sure only I had seen.

“They are so quiet!” I laughed agreeing, Alicia spoke again “… I think Mikey had or has depression…” She looked scared telling me. I nodded noticing how he looked and how he constantly rubbed his wrist and shied away from everyone, but his brother. He looked anxious all the time, I think him and Gerard were often bullied. They did not look like the type of people to open up to anyone. They seemed like good enough guys to me though. It looks as though Alicia thinks so too.

I and Alicia bonded over that couple of minutes. The main topic of our discussion was admittedly the two brothers. Gerard and Mikey walked over to us and we cut our discussion short. I stood up.

“Gerard… we have P.E” I sighed.

“…But we don’t have it together?” I rolled my eyes, and then blushed at my sudden burst of confidence.

“Skip!” My cheeks heated up, would he mind? … I didn’t want him to think me and stupid girl who hated sport or learning at that.

“I mean… I usually skip… but?” I questioned.

Seeing Mikey and Alicia head of to their next lesson. Mikey’s posture looked uncomfortable at being close to a girl. Why did the two new boys have to be shown around by two girls?! Gerard just nodded. He seemed to have no problem with skipping P.E. It was one of the only lessons I truly hated, apart from maths of course. Beckoning for Gerard to follow me I ran towards the school fields, but instead of doing P.E we hid out of sit near the big wooden stand where people sat to watch the football and rugby matches.

“Gerard, can I ask you something?” I had only known him one day; I was not sure how he would react. He nodded his face so sweet and innocent.

“About Mikey…” His face slightly tightened.

“Is he… you know… d-does he have… depression?” I spat it out. My face paling as I awaited his answer.

“What?” He croaked… Oh no! I frowned.

“Don’t… d-don’t…” His voice was still reasonably quiet. I looked up, my face went bright red. I shouldn’t have gone there. He stormed off, probably breaking our cover.

Well done Hope, I thought sarcastically… well done!

I guess I better follow him.

Way to go… this is only his first freaking day here.

“Gerard… Geeerraarrddd” I shouted, dragging his name out a second time. I saw him retreating back to the main gates. He doesn’t even know his way around here yet! Where does he think he is going?!

I ran to catch him up, he still seemed steaming mad. I must have dug into deep memories for him. I need to play it safe. He is too delicate, like a piece of glass, one wrong move and it will be smashed forever… and that can leave scars.

If I were Gerard… where would I go?

I pondered for a minute, and then mentally slapped myself.

The one place I felt happiest to be, he had said art was his favourite…

Wherever I find him… he will be drawing...