†† Chapter Twenty-Three

[Vote if you support vampire marriage!]

               There was a knock on the door and I quickly ran towards it, but not before Adam could beat me to it. He glared at me and I stepped back, letting him open the door. There was no one. There was nothing. I was pretty sure we both heard a knock but we couldn't smell anyone near by. Strange...

               "You both should know by now that I rarely use doors," Vamptra's voice startled us, making me jump into Adam's arms with a loud girlish shriek.

               "You gave me a heart attack!" I hissed.

               "Please." She rolled her eyes. "It will heal."

               "Why did you take so long to get here?" Adam demanded.

               Vamptra flipped her hair back, obviously giving us a sign that she did not care whether she got here late or not. She was wearing one of her abnormal costumes. She definitely fit the role of mother vampire. Or queen vampire I should say.

               "I don't react well on orders." She gave him a threatening stare. "Be glad I came at all."

               I touched Adam's shoulders, watching his tension soothe down. I laid my head on his shoulder and rubbed his chest, trying to calm him down. The last thing I wanted was for him and Vamptra to fight. That wouldn't end up very well. Not at all.

               "Don't you understand that Jasper is dying?" he said.

               She walked around, her eyes looking up at the very high ceiling. "Yes, I do know. But it isn't my duty to save him. I don't really care if he dies or not."

               "You insensitive b*tch. Don't you dare talk like that. This is your fault. So it is your duty to save him. And you will," Adam replied angrily.

               I blinked at the sound of Adam cursing. It made him look so hot.

               "And I think you should respect him, since he technically is the boss of you," he added with a smirk.

               Her eyes turned pitch black and her neck snapped towards him. She ran towards him at full speed, cursing something about him being a stubborn brat. But I walked in front of her and stopped her by putting my hand in the air. She looked at me in shock.

               "That's right. Not only is he getting weaker by the minute, he's also getting stronger." Adam was taunting her and it wasn't going to end well if he kept it up. I didn't want to make fun of Vamptra, or to say that I was better than her, because I wasn't. I needed her help. And Adam was ruining my chances.

               "How dare you." She tried to struggle but could barely move. I had her still, like a statue in the air.

               "You're both equal," Adam began. "You may be the first vampire and the strongest one of our kind. But Jasper is also a kind of his own. He's the only necromancer ... and what do necromancers do? They own death. Which is you. So I suggest you start being a little nicer before we start being a little meaner."

               "Um. Adam?" I whispered, forgetting that it was no use since this was a room of vampires who had hearing abilities. "This whole jerk side to you is really hot and all ... but maybe you should tone it down before Vamptra rips our heads off."

               "No, Jasper," he snapped. "I'm done waiting around. You are dying and we don't know when your heart will give out. We're following these dragons on blind faith. We don't even know if they are going to cure you."