Chapter 6: Realm

"Derek?" Liz called out. They were outside. The ground was cold. She could feel a layer of dew forming on the grass. Liz looked up and saw an old building.

"Where are we?" Derek asked, appearing beside her.

"It's my old elementary school. It burned down when I entered high school here."

"And why were we brought here?"

"I don't know. But I have to believe something is inside that I need to see. Something that I never did when I was younger."

Liz started towards the building doors. They were charred at every corner. The glass was broken to pieces from the fire. They walked down the long hallways, noticing all the burned school desks inside each room. She turned around to talk to Derek, but he was gone. The building had transformed into the light and colorful building it once was. Liz called out for Derek, but there was no answer. The bell of the school sounded and little children appeared from every doorway. One of them, being Liz herself. Her younger self froze in front of her, slowly raising her arm to wave at Liz. Liz waved back.

"Elizabeth! Who are you looking at?" the younger version of Liz's friend Addison asked.

"It's Lizzie! She's my friend!" Liz had never gone by shortened names when she was younger, because, well, the thought never occurred to her. The bell sounded and her younger self ran off into a room with Addison. Liz followed, looking into the room, but no one was there. It was completely empty. She walked further down the hallway and turned the corner. Liz saw her old teacher, who had died in the fire, talking to her mom.

"Elizabeth, she has a unique gift. She will tell us things that will happen or she wants to happen and they will. Or sometimes, she'll tell us she sees things or people in our home or around the town and there will be nobody there."

"Don't you think it's just an imaginary friend problem?" Ms. Owens asked suspiciously.

"No, because she isn't the only one in our family to have this gift. Her grandmother was also able to see things that didn't exist."

"Mrs. Gray, I appreciate your concern for your child, but why are you telling me this?"

"I don't want her to scare the other kids. I tell her constantly that it's not real or it's just an imaginary friend and I want you to do the same," Liz's mother instructed.

"You want to suppress her memory? But why?"

"She's too young to handle it. For now, it's better to let her forget. Just let her grow up thinking the world is full of coincidences."

"I'll try my best, Mrs. Gray. Have you ever thought of maybe learning how to manage it so it doesn't happen often?"

"Only she can do that. But it must be with love and when she's older. Even then, the process is sort of, well, Forbidden. But if she wants it to happen, then she must break the rules."

The two of them nodded at each other. They walked down the corridor and turned the corner. Liz chased after them, hoping to catch them, but once she turned the corner, they were gone. The building was back to being it's old burned self. Liz turned back hoping to see them, but was startled by Derek. she screamed as he stumbled upon her.

"Hey, hey it's okay," he said, hugging her.

"Derek, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I thought if I brought you here, I'd learn how to control this but all I've done is seen myself and my mom."

"Okay, well maybe we're missing something. What did your mom say?"

"She's was talking to my teacher and she was talking about my gift."