Prologue

I creep out the front door with my sheep dog King at my side. The noise had come from the barn that sits a hundred meters in front of me. It hadn’t woken Mom or Dad, so I am on my own.

With my yellow flashlight clutched tight, I tip toe in my short black boots across the green grass. I had being lying awake in bed all night, staring out my window at the sparkling stars. I have way too much on my mind to waste time sleeping.

The noise was loud, as if something fell from the top of the barn. But the cows that inhabit it couldn’t have climbed up to the loft where Emery now sleeps. Ever since my parents found I was pregnant, they refuse to continue allowing him to sleep in my room. It’s almost like they think I won’t continue being pregnant if I don’t sleep near Emery.

The barn door creeks as I gently push it open, and shine my flashlight around. It only lands on mooing cows, and I sigh. Nothing was here. It must have been one of the cows hitting the barn walls. I go to turn around when I hear the rustling.

King runs towards the noise immediately, and I jog after him. He stops, and begins to bark at a pile of hay that was supposed to be scattered for the cow’s tomorrow morning. I shine my flashlight around the pile when a head of black hair pokes his head out and grins at me.

“Emery!” I yell. “What are you doing?” I look around at the scattered pieces of lumber and then I see his bed. It’s slanted, standing half on the ground while the top leans against the gaping hole in the ceiling, which technically is the loft floor.

“Would you believe me if I said I fell off the bed in my sleep and the floor caved in?” He raises his eyebrows, his smile still not leaving his lips. I look around at the spooked cows who are cowering at the far end of the barn where the entrance is. It looks like none were harmed however this is a still stupid stunt.

“You scared me half to death!” I yell as I grab his hand. Lifting him to his feet, he shakes his head and pieces of hay fly through the air. After everything that has happened in the barn, I think it pretty much goes unsaid that going in here at night would scare me massively. “So you intentionally broke the loft floor because…?” I trail off, waiting for him to fill in the blank.

Emery lowers his voice, not moving his eyes from mine to look at the mess he’s created. If my dad doesn’t believe his cover story, I won’t be surprised if he takes Emery around back and I hear the shotgun go off.

“You know I still have the nightmares,” he whispers, fear in his eyes. “You do too. We can’t sleep without each other, River,” he murmurs, pulling me into his chest. “And after everything that’s happened and what we’re facing now, I think we need each other more than ever.” Emery’s eyes suddenly look past me and I turn around to follow his gaze. Flashlights move back and forth over the ground as my parents approach the barn.

“Want to make a bet on how my dad reacts?” I smirk, taking Emery’s hand in mine.

“Ten bucks he lets me get away with it if he doesn’t believe my story,” Emery grins, knowing my dad has put him on a pedestal ever since he got here.

“Twenty that he yells regardless,” I laugh, looking up to meet Emery’s eyes.

He leans down close to my face. “Even though I don’t want to be yelled at,” he mumbles softly. “I hope you win.” He gently places his lips on my forehead before pulling back. He squeezes my hand as my parents step into the barn, their flashlights landing on us and then the mess.

“WHAT THE HELL?”

I lean close to Emery as my parents survey the barn. “I win, you're screwed and you owe me twenty bucks."