Chapter Fifteen

“Is this the part where I go Rocky Balboa on your ass and knock your lights out? God, I hope so.”

The rumble of Vincent’s chuckle filled the taxi. “You’re welcome to try short stuff, but consider yourself warned… I bite.”

“Ugh,” I scoffed, “Can you just take me to where I’ve been staying for the past few days? I'm tired both physically and mentally and don’t have the energy to put up with you.”

Vincent changed gears and the taxi lurched forward as he made use of every one of the six cylinders of the taxi’s engine. “What’s got you so tired? Was your partner in crime a rough ride?”

It annoyed me to no end how suggestive his every comment seemed to be. He was, without a doubt, the master of vague insinuating comments. There was a time when I would have no qualms about banter, but that was before Alex and I had done anything. Now it was an irritating barb that served as a reminder of what never should have happened. Be that as it may, I couldn’t very well let Vincent know that he was actually getting under my skin. Years of dealing with men had taught me that it gave them the upper hand. It was important to roll with the punches and two could easily play that game. A devious smile played at my lips as I recalled the afternoon’s events. I knew exactly what to say in reply.

“Funny that you should say that, because he was on me all afternoon. I’ve always prided myself on my endurance, you know with all the cardio in my Zumba routines, but Alex has managed to singlehandedly redefine it. We hardly took any breaks and by the time he got me home, I thought I was going to die.” I gave a very feline stretch in the back seat and watched as he met my gaze in the rearview mirror. “I slept like the dead afterward.”

“Sounds like quite the workout.”

I barely resisted the urge to chuckle. He clearly thought my story was a euphemism for earth shattering sex, when I was actually describing the extremely tiring walk from the diner. The memory of how my lungs were screaming for air as I walked the final step over the threshold was enough to keep my face straight when I drily replied, “You have no idea.”

We stopped at a red light and he raised an eyebrow at me. “Looks like I lost twenty bucks.”

I sat up straighter. “You bet on whether or not I would have sex with my best friend?”

He shrugged and tilted his head in acknowledgement. “I was bored.”

“You’re disgusting is what you are..”

“And I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

He hit the gas with more force than necessary, which was saying something since I was renowned for having a lead foot. We fell into a stony silence and I concentrated on my reflection in the window. Silence, even considering my present company, had never appealed to me so I asked the question that had been fighting to be free from the moment I realized Vincent was my cabbie.

“So how long have you been a cabbie?”

Vincent was quiet for so long, I almost didn’t think he planned to answer. “Approximately 35 minutes, give or take ten minutes.”

“So they just hired you or what?”

“You’re awfully dense, kid. It’s a miracle you’ve survived this long.”

“So I’ve been told,” I grumbled, recalling Natasha’s exasperated exclamation.

“This is a stolen vehicle.”

“Why would you steal a taxi of all things?”

“Because I like the color.”

“Hardy har har. That was so funny, I almost forgot to laugh. I’m serious and don’t tell me it was just so you could give me a ride.”